Deadline: 28 April 2017
Open to: students from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo and Serbia
Venue: 16-21 July 2017, Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Swiss Helsinki Committee and its project partners are pleased to announce the call for applications for the Summer School “Challenge History” which will take place from 16 to 21 July 2017 in Mostar, Bosnia, and Herzegovina. Open-minded students in the third grade of High Schools from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, and Kosovo are invited to apply for the Summer School. The six-day event will enable its participants:
- to reflect on historical narratives, particularly those related to the recent wars in the Balkans, and to engage in a constructive dialogue on these legacies;
- to compare historical narratives and challenge preconceived ideas about the past;
- to discuss with their peer’s possible ways of overcoming conflicts from the past and building a common future
- to apply the acquired knowledge in their future education and activities;
- to network with young people from the region and have fun while learning together.
Rationale for the Summer School “Challenge History”
Young people have a crucial role to play in the ongoing reconciliation process in the Western Balkans. In order to achieve a peaceful future and to rebuild connections across the region, the involvement of the new generation is particularly important.
Many divisions and conflicts in the region have their origin in divisive memories and interpretations of the recent past. For this very reason, the Summer School “Challenge History” addresses the past in order to build a better future. Its aim is to encourage constructive debates on the legacies of the past among High School students from the Western Balkan. We believe that young people from this region have an enormous potential to bring about positive change.
“Challenge History” aims to contribute to full use this potential.
The 2017 edition of the Summer School targets High School students from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, and Kosovo. For organizational reasons, it has not been possible at this stage to extend the call for applications to other countries of the region. The future development of the Summer School will give interested students from additional countries of the Western Balkans the opportunity to participate in the “Challenge History” project.
Information about the Summer School “Challenge History”
Dates: 16-21 July 2017 (6 days) – participants will be required to attend all the sessions during the Summer School. The arrival day is on July 16 at 18.00 the latest. The departure day is July 21 not before 12.00.
Place: Mostar, Bosnia, and Herzegovina – the accommodation will be organized in cooperation with the United World College, Mostar
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Students in the third grade of High Schools (at the time of the application submitted), who will not have attained the age of 18 at the time of the Summer School, and who have the permission of the parents or legal tutors to participate
- From Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo and Serbia
- Who wish to learn about history of the region from an alternative perspective
- Who have sufficient knowledge of English language, in order to be able to follow and participate in the sessions
The organizers will cover all the costs of travel, visas, accommodation and meals during the Summer School. Members of the organization staff will accompany students on their travel to Mostar and back home.
How to apply?
In order to apply please fill the application form.
For more information please visit the official web page.