Deadline: 31 January 2018
Open to: applicants with some knowledge of the issues of hate speech and far-right radicalism
Costs: fully funded
In recent years, the increase of hate speech throughout Europe has contributed to electoral victories of nationalist parties and the radicalization of far-right movements, fueling hate crimes and violence towards marginalized groups. From forcible evictions of Roma people to stigmatization and attacks of LGBTQI+ and minority faith communities, the hate narrative gradually weakened the social cohesion between communities. Besides, it challenged democracy, equality and the rule of law across the continent. The current political framing, shaped by hate speech and far-right proponents, led national governments to make policy choices that often restrain fundamental rights of people in Europe. As illiberal democracies seem to be on the rise, we are once again moving into a period of strengthening domestic positions through demonizing minority groups, undermining the conditions for transnational, open and democratic societies to thrive. To counteract those trends, European Alternatives is looking for activists and citizens from Central and Eastern Europe willing to stand against those trends and to organize for open societies.
- Reside in one of the following Central and Eastern European country: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia and the Ukraine;
- Be proficient in English;
- Having some knowledge of the issues of hate speech and far-right radicalism and some experience with campaigning or community organizing would be useful;
- Commit to participate to both pieces of training on March 14-18th and at the end of May (final dates to be communicated in the course of January) and to take action beyond the training series.
- There is no registration fee for the training;
- The participation includes travel costs, food and accommodation costs and training materials for the series.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application.
For more information, please read the official call.