Deadline: 31 January, 2018
Open to: international students
Benefits: allowance to cover living expenses
Each summer DESY offers undergraduate students in physics or related natural science disciplines the possibility to participate in the research activities of the laboratory.
Selected candidates join in the day-to-day work of research groups at the DESY Laboratory in Hamburg or Zeuthen (Berlin) and participate in one of these activities.
DESY Summer Students join groups engaged in the following activities:
Program A : Experiments with Synchrotron Radiation (only at Hamburg)
Students join photon science groups at DESY engaged in fundamental and applied
research in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry, crystallography, material science, and geological science. Some of the students will work in the frame of the European XFEL project. The work includes participation in activities like preparation and realization of measurements, evaluation of measured data, and technical improvements of instrumentation.
Information about the different categories within A1-A6 can be found here.
Program B : Research in Elementary Particle and Astroparticle Physics, accelerators and computing:
Experiments in Elementary Particle and Astroparticle Physics
Research is concentrated on the following areas:
— the experiments ATLAS, CMS at the proton-proton-collider LHC,
— the preparations for experiments at the e+e- International Linear Collider,
— the Belle II experiment and
— the experiment ALPS II at DESY.
At Zeuthen research is done also on the areas
— gamma-ray astronomy and astroparticle physics with the observatories
CTA, HESS, MAGIC, VERITAS, and Fermi LA (link) and
— neutrino astronomy and astroparticle physics with the IceCube Observatory (link).
- Applicants should have completed, by the summer of 2016, three years of full-time studies at university level in physics or related natural science disciplines;
The main target audiences are students who in summer 2016 are:
– about to obtain their Bachelor degree or;
– having a Bachelor degree and finishing their first year of studies for Master degree or;
– in between these two stages.
- Applicants who already obtained a master-degree or will obtain the master degree in 2016 are not accepted.
Please take note that due to regulations for paid traineeships in Germany we can only accept students that are enrolled at their university for the whole period of the summer student programme;
- A good knowledge of English is essential;
- Applicants should not have previously been at DESY as a summer student.
- DESY Summer Students will be paid a subsistence allowance to cover living expenses for a single person;
- Travel expenses: travel expenses will be paid.
How to Apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
- Other documents needed:
– a CV (curriculum vitae), the CV should be in tabular form only and contain personal data, educational history / relevant work experience, computing and other relevant work skills (usually one or two pages are sufficient for the complete CV);
– University grade certificates (e.g. bachelor certificate, credit points, etc.).
- International Applicants from Non-EU and Non-EEA Countries and from Croatia need a working permission for Germany.
For more information please visit the official website.