Deadline: 15 April 2018
Open to: applicants from Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Moldavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan
Benefits: opportunity to take part in South Caucasus Security Forum 2018 and Summer University for Young Professionals
Stratpol – Strategic Policy Institute is starting a new flagship project for motivated experts and aspiring professionals in international relations and security – STRATPOL Young Professionals program (#SYP2018). The program is tailored for young professionals (under 30 years old) from Central Europe, the Black Sea Region, the South Caucasus and the Baltics.
For the past ten years, Stratpol and its predecessors focused on educating young professionals through our Summer University for Young Professionals, which was taking place every year in Slovakia. They have decided that it is time to move things forward and offer motivated young experts a more comprehensive program combining lectures and seminars from top experts in the field, practical education and simulations, networking, research and other exclusive opportunities.
The project aims to offer practice-oriented education in international relations and security with a focus on EU and NATO policies towards the Black Sea region and the South Caucasus. They want to build effective relationships between participants and expand their professional network and knowledge. They believe that the knowledge and ideas of young people are essential in thinking about current challenges in international relations and security, and their innovative approaches are crucial for thinking about the future of these regions.
Selected participants will get an exclusive opportunity to travel to the South Caucasus Security Forum on 16-17 May 2018 in Tbilisi, Georgia. The Forum is a long-term project which, over the past four years, evolved into one of the most-prestigious security conferences in the region. Its fifth edition this year will, for the first time, include a separate program for the Young Professionals including seminars, workshops, and lectures with top experts and practitioners. Young Professionals will also get an opportunity to carry-out their research with careful assistance from our fellows. The best policy papers will be published by Stratpol. Lastly, the participants will get a chance to take part in our annual Summer University in Slovakia. During a week-long program, they will go through a carefully balanced program of lectures, seminars, simulations and practical assignments. The participants will be added to the extensive network of alumni and will be first in line with the possibility to participate in other Stratpol projects.
- Young aspiring professionals in international relations and security under 30 years old;
- Students of the final years of university and early-career professionals;
- Working knowledge of English;
- Applicants from Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan;
- Experience in international relations and security.
- For selected participants an opportunity to take part in the prestigious South Caucasus Security Forum 2018 which will take place on May 16-17, 2018 in Tbilisi, Georgia. Series of workshops, seminars, and lectures with leading experts in the field. Participants will also take part in the main conference program, including keynotes by leading regional politicians. Stratpol covers return transportation, accommodation for three days and meals during the conference;
- Opportunity to take part in the Summer University for Young Professionals which will take place on June 2018 in Slovakia. The Summer University program includes decision-making simulation, debate contest and interactive workshops under the guidance of well-respected professionals. Stratpol covers half of the transportation cost (up to 100 EUR), accommodation and meals during the Summer University. The Summer University is a highly a successful and established project with an 11-years tradition.
- Opportunity to implement your research with assistance from Stratpol fellows. The best policy papers will be published and promoted by Stratpol.
How to Apply?
To apply, please send your CV and Essay OR Research Proposal on assigned topics.
Stick to the format of an essay, if you are not sure, consult the internet. The essay should not be longer than three pages (5400 characters). Pay attention to the style. Number your pages. Include your name and the question you are answering. Citations are possible, but not necessary – the essay should be an opinion piece.
Topics (choose one)
- How can young people help to solve the conflicts in the Black Sea and South Caucasus regions?
- What is the unique role of Central Europe in relation to the European neighborhood?
- How are new technologies changing the security of Europe and its neighborhood?
- How do hard-security, nationalism and state security affect Europe and its neighborhood?
Present a research design for a policy research paper. The research design should not be longer than three pages (5400 characters). Please include a clearly defined problem/research question/hypothesis; research description; the research strategy; data availability, collection and analysis; and what are the potential pitfalls of the research (or where you will need help).
- Your research should touch upon international relations and security especially in Europe and its neighborhood. Special emphasis should be given on EU and NATO policies in the Eastern Partnership region, and the role of Central Europe in these policies. Addressing new topics, like energy security, cyber security, hybrid warfare strategies, new authoritarianism, or Chinese influence in these regions is encouraged.
Fee: 150 EUR
For more information please visit the official website.