Deadline: 31 July 2018
Open to: artists from anywhere in the world
Award: 5,000 EUR and a residency with additional financial at the Belval estate (Ardennes)
The COAL Prize is open to artists from anywhere in the world who dare to imagine and experiment, to transform territories, lifestyles, organizations, and production methods. Together, they are building a new collective narrative, a new vision, developing our future heritage, and in doing so creating the necessary optimistic framework for everyone to find the means and the motivation to implement the changes needed for a more sustainable and just world.
This year, the COAL association celebrates its 10th anniversary. A decade of commitment alongside artists who wish to give their all to using culture as a medium of change, an ecological transition through solidarity. These words are not a figure of speech, but the result of there story.
The COAL Prize has become a vehicle for identification, promotion and dissemination of these artists to the general public, political actors and professionals of culture as well as of ecology. Each year, the COAL Prize honors ten projects in the field of visualarts relating to environmental issues. They are selected as part of an international open call. Though only one of them is awarded the COAL Prize, all the artists and projects considered by COAL and the selection committee will become part of a network which COAL may invite or endorse for other relevant opportunities and projects carried out by the association.
Applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
- artistic value;
- relevance (understanding of the theme);
- originality (the ability to introduce new approaches, themes, and points of view);
- pedagogy (ability to get a message across and raise awareness);
- social and participate approaches (engagement, testimony, efficiency, societal dynamics);
- eco-design and feasibility.
The COAL Prize supports art projects in progress. Its award is not intended to cover all production costs of the project but should be considered as an aid to its development.
This year’s jury and selection committee is currently in the process of being assembled.
Artists from anywhere in the world who dare to imagine and experiment, to transform territories, lifestyles, organizations, and production methods.
The winner of the COAL 2018 Prize will receive an award of 5,000 EUR and a residency with additional financial support for artistic production at the Belval estate (Ardennesthe ), property of the François Sommer Foundation.
How to Apply?
The application should include the following documents in a single PDF file not exceeding 20 pages:
- The completed application form, available for download HERE;
- A description of the proposed project, detailing its artistic dimension and its relevance to environmental issues;
- Two high-definition visuals illustrating the project;
- A note on the technical aspects of the project, particularly in terms of construction and means of production;
- An estimated budget;
- A Curriculum Vitae and a portfolio;
All proposals should be submitted before July 31, 2018 via the COAL server : projetcoal.org
For more information please visit the official website.