Deadline: 15 June 2018
Open to: anyone up to 25 years old
Award: 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of approx. USD 900 and gift; 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of approx. USD 450 and a gift ; 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
*This program is an activity within the framework of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
Theme: “The Change I Want to Make”
What is the one thing you would like to change the most to make your school, workplace, community, country or the world a better place? How would you bring about that change?
Please share your concrete ideas.
Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2018) in one of the following age categories:
- Children (ages up to 14);
- Youth (ages 15 – 25).
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. USD 900 as of February 2018) and gift … 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. USD 450 as of February 2018) and gift … 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2018 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.);
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable;
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2018 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2018.
How to apply?
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online.
* IMPORTANT: To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page and follow the required steps.
For more information, please visit the official web page.