Deadline: 10 July 2018
Open to: candidates in age of 18 who learning the craft of filmmaking
Benefits: free flights, professional mentorship, 12-day trip, audio gear, camera bags, travel insurance
This year, they want to send one passionate individual to capture the diverse people, places, and wildlife that make Tanzania an adventure hot-spot. You could be filming in the shadows of Mt. Kilimanjaro and exploring the landscape with the locals to tell the stories of community, sustainability and tourism in this unique part of the world.
- You need to be over 18 at the time of the application deadline;
- The scholarship is not open to professional filmmakers;
- Have you been regularly commissioned to make films (in any genre) or derive more than 25% of your income from any aspect of filmmaking? If so, you would be considered a professional and therefore not eligible to apply;
- If you’re still learning the craft of filmmaking and if creating films is responsible for less than 25% of your income, then you’re eligible to apply. This may mean you have had a few films commissioned in the past, or keep a regular video channel of your own – but it isn’t your full-time gig;
- Appreciate that the filmmaking industry is difficult to break into and there are a lucky few who can count themselves as professional full-time filmmakers. This scholarship is a learning experience for a budding filmmaker and the judging panel will be selecting the person who they feel will most benefit from the learning opportunity;
- So, whilst are not stipulating exactly what does and does not constitute a professional, please consider the spirit of the mentorship program and whether you think you would make the most ideal candidate.
- Free Flights
Receive round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Tanzania.
- Professional Mentorship
Improve your skills on the field and during post-production under the mentorship of professional filmmaker Brian Rapsey.
- 12-day Trip;
Capture the wildlife and communities of the Serengeti with help from adventure experts, OneSeed Expeditions.
- Audio Gear
Record superior sound for your film with new microphones courtesy of RØDE Microphones.
- Camera Bags
Protect your gear with style with specialized camera bags and accessories from Langly.
- Travel Insurance
As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads.
How to Apply?
Make a 3-minute documentary;
Our challenge to you is to go out and interview an amazing adventurer or inspiring traveler and bring to life their compelling travel story around one of the following themes:
Upload your film to YouTube or Vimeo;
Please make sure your video is publicly accessible.
Complete the application form;
In 1500 characters or less, explain why you should be the scholarship recipient and what winning this opportunity would mean to you. Your answer will hold considerable weight in the judging process.
Strictly one application per person. The application must be submitted in English or with English subtitles.
For more information please visit the official website.