Deadline: 27 September 2018
Open to: national of a Member State of the European Union, Iceland or Norway with completed university studies of at least three (3) years attested by a diploma in one of the following fields: agriculture, agronomy, biology, entomology, plant pathology or related areas and at least one (1) year of relevant and proven professional experience gained after obtaining the diploma
Benefits: basic salary starting from EUR 3.404,15
Are you passionate about plant health and have you got experience in entomology or plant pathology (related to pests of agriculture/landscape/forestry plants or plant products)? Do you have experience with the collection, generation and analysis of evidence?
Are you motivated and committed to contribute to EFSA’s mission in ensuring food safety, animal and plant health in Europe?
They are looking for highly motivated and talented scientists who will contribute to ensuring plant health in Europe and support the preparedness of the European Union to new plant health risks, mainly through active participation in the conduct of commodity risk assessment in the area of plant health. The successful candidate will also be asked to contribute to other plant health risk assessment activities performed by EFSA in support of the new EU plant health law, such as pest categorization, pest risk assessment, pest survey guidelines or horizon scanning to identify new plant health threats.
The successful candidate will work under the responsibility of the Plant Health Team Leader and will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Contribute to drafting and reviewing scientific outputs on plant health through the provision of evidence-based risk assessment, mainly in the area of commodity risk assessment but also in the area of other plant health risk assessment activities, such as pest categorization, pest risk assessment, pest survey guidelines and horizon scanning to identify new plant health threats;
- Provide administrative and scientific support to the activities of EFSA’s Panels and Working Groups (i.e. preparation of working documents, scientific opinions, etc.);
- Contribute to the collection, collation, analysis and evaluation of data for preparing scientific materials and working documents related to the scientific assessment;
- Contribute to communicating and presenting scientific outputs by conveying the right messages and by making scientific concepts understandable to the public;
- Keep abreast of scientific and regulatory developments and contribute to providing information on legislative, policy and scientific aspects, in particular in the area of plant health;
- Contribute to the coordination of grants and procurements, including monitoring procedures, in particular in the area of plant health.
- Be national of a Member State of the European Union, Iceland or Norway;
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by laws concerning military service;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post;
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the EU official languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved.
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three (3) years attested by a diploma in one of the following fields: agriculture, agronomy, biology, entomology, plant pathology or related areas.
In addition to the above, at least one (1) year of relevant and proven professional experience gained after obtaining the diploma.
In case you do not fulfil all the eligibility criteria, your application will not be taken into consideration.
- Professional experience (field/laboratory/research) in entomology or plant pathology (bacteriology, mycology, virology or nematology) related to pests of agriculture/landscape/forestry plants or plant products;
- Perform scientific plant health risk assessments, such as commodity risk assessment, pest categorisation, pest risk assessment, pest survey guidelines or horizon scanning for new plant health threats;
- Generate, collect and collate evidence, e.g. from literature or statistical databases and perform statistical analysis of data;
- Write and review scientific documents such as scientific reports, articles, opinions, guidance documents;
- Manage projects by selecting and using appropriate project management techniques and tools;
- Communicate scientific outputs to different target audiences;
- Knowledge of the regulatory framework in the area of plant health is considered an asset.
- Communication and English: Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both spoken and written English;
- Working with others: Ability to work with others harmoniously and towards a common goal to obtain best results in the interest of EU citizens;
- Analysis and problem solving: Ability to identify the critical facts in difficult issues and develop creative and practical solutions;
- Drive for Results: Ability to take personal responsibility and initiative for delivering high quality work;
- Resilience and Composure: Ability to deliver effectively under high workload and adapt to a changing work environment.
EFSA can offer the selected candidate a contract of 5 years with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be recruited as Contract Agent Function Group IV with the basic salary starting from EUR 3.404,15, subject to an annual review of remuneration provided for in Article 65(1) of the Staff Regulations.
In addition to the basic salary, EFSA offers a range of benefits:
- Various allowances to which the successful jobholder may be entitled, such as a household allowance, expatriation allowance (16% of basic salary), dependent child allowance and education allowance. The salary is subject to a Community tax deducted at source and staff members are exempt from national taxation.
- A comprehensive welfare package including pension scheme, medical, accident and occupational disease insurance coverage, unemployment and invalidity allowance, and travel insurance.
How to apply?
Candidates are invited to read the ANNEX that represents an integral part of this vacancy and should be consulted before completing the online application form.
For more information please visit the official website.