Deadline: 23 September 2018
Open to: PhD students, MA graduates, junior experts, journalists and civil society multipliers from the Eastern Partnership countries (Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan) and Russia
Benefits: monthly scholarships and accommodation in Kyiv
The Democracy Study Centre invites you to apply for its second academic year which will last from October 2018 to June 2019. Besides online education, the scholars will come to the Centre each month for a 2-day session to meet their peers, listen to experts, attend lectures and workshops as well as present their findings and works. At the end of the academic year, an International Civil Society Forum will be held to provide opportunities for thematic and cross-border cooperation in the Eastern Partnership countries and Russia, where the scholars will present their work.
The Democracy Study Centre (DSC) 2018-2019 is a continuation of the initial DSC project 2016-2017, started in 2016 by the German-Polish-Ukrainian Society and successfully implemented in cooperation with the European-Ukrainian Youth Policy Centre in Kyiv, Ukraine. Scholarships and in-depth engagement with current political, economic, and social policy topics at the interface between training, workshops, open lectures, group work, and analytical research create a space in which young people and junior experts are encouraged to learn, think, exchange ideas, conduct research and create projects. The Centre provides opportunities for theme-based and trans-border cooperation with the Eastern Partnership (EaP) countries and Russia, creating an international public sphere of interconnected participants. The Centre focuses on individual development and empowerment of young multipliers, enabling them to bring their positions and interests to bear effectively on society.
Civil society is a driving force of democracy. Therefore, the effectiveness of change and progress in the country directly depends on strengthening the democratic culture of Ukrainian citizens, young people in particular. Youth political activity should be accompanied by education on democratic values, development of critical thinking and ability to analyze socio-political processes. Therefore, the DSC project directly affects the situation of scarcity of Ukraine’s civil society knowledge on democratic values in order to enable the civil society to shape the societal change. Four thematic areas were identified for the coming academic year: (1) Pluralism in media, (2) Strengthening the Mittelstand and social entrepreneurship, (3) Advancing the dialogue and peace-mediation, and (4) Women in focus. Working individually and in groups, scholars are to develop and implement their unique projects contributing to Ukraine’s democratization and civil society development within the four thematic areas.
• MA graduates, PhD students, activists from civil society, grassroots-democracy movements, initiatives focusing on urban development and journalists aged 23 to 35 with strong interest in academic research cooperation from the EaP countries and Russia;
• Applicants having experience and/or interest in CSOs;
• Students active in grassroots initiatives for democratization;
• Proficiency in English.
- Monthly scholarships;
- Accommodation in Kyiv.
How to apply?
If you would like to apply for the 2018-2019 Democracy Study Centre, please send the following documents in English to: [email protected]
1. A motivation letter (max. one page), explaining why you want to participate in the project;
2. CV that includes your date of birth and names and contacts of at least two referees (names of university professors, supervisors or employers), as well as your mobile phone number and email address. Important, please include the following passage in your CV: “I hereby agree for my personal data, included in my application, to be processed in line with the needs of recruitment”;
3. An essay which should address the following issue: “My capacity as a community leader”;
4. Copies of your diplomas and certificates will be asked at the later stage of the recruitment.