Deadline: 18 November 2018
Open to: doctoral degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the project theme (including but not limited to international human rights law, anthropology, human geography), the ability to conduct independent scientific research and possess the teaching skills required for the position
Benefits: annual gross salary for a postdoctoral researcher varies between 41,000 and 50,000 EUR, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience
The University of Helsinki is the oldest and largest institution of academic education in Finland, an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. In international university rankings, the University of Helsinki typically ranks among the top 100. The University of Helsinki seeks solutions for global challenges and creates new ways of thinking for the best of humanity.
The Faculty of Arts of the University of Helsinki is Finland’s oldest institution for teaching and research in the humanities and the largest in terms of the structure and range of disciplines. It is also a significant international community fostering research, education and cultural interaction.
The Faculty of Arts invites applications for the position of POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER for a four-year fixed term period from 1 January 2019 onwards (or as agreed) to contribute to the subproject Migration and the narrative of Europe as an “Area of freedom, security and justice” of the Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Law, Identity and the European Narratives.
- An appointee to the position must hold a doctoral degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the project theme (including but not limited to international human rights law, anthropology, human geography), the ability to conduct independent scientific research and possess the teaching skills required for the position;
- The candidate should preferably have strong experience in ethnographic and post-colonial methodologies;
- The period following the completion of a doctoral degree must not exceed five years, excluding family leave and equivalent periods of absence;
- An appointee must be able to provide a clear contribution to the theme of the CoE and to its general development, together with full-time researchers, postdocs, visiting faculty, Ph.D. students, and graduate students working as research assistants;
- To fulfil the research requirements of the position, the applicant chosen is expected to be physically present on a regular basis and actively participate in the research and teaching activities of the CoE;
- An appointee is expected to contribute 2-5 months of the annual work time to joint projects at the CoE, develop her/his own and our common research agenda, and contribute to collective academic tasks such as teaching, seminars and joint academic papers.
- Annual gross salary for a postdoctoral researcher varies between 41,000 and 50,000 EUR depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience;
- There is a six-month trial period for the position;
- Health care services and standard Finnish pension benefits are provided for the University employees.
How to apply?
Please submit your application, together with the required attachments, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System.
Applicants are requested to enclose with their applications the following documents in English as a single pdf file:
1) A curriculum vitae (max 4 pages);
2) A numbered list of publications on which the applicant has marked in bold her or his five key publications to be considered during the review;
3) A statement (max 2 pages) outlining how the applicant’s expertise could contribute both to research conducted at the CoE and to this specific subproject;
4) A summary (max 2 pages) on the applicant’s scholarly activities including original research at an international level, international academic networks, local co-operation, success in obtaining research funding, experience in research management.
For more information, please visit the official web page.