Deadline: 05 March 2019
Open to: startups with most disruptive ideas focused on solving real needs in the tourism and gastronomy sector with a responsible approach
Benefits: opportunity to attend the 5th UNWTO World Forum on Gastronomy Tourism in San Sebastian on 2-3 May 2019 with travel and accommodation expenses covered for one representative per team
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), in collaboration with the Basque Culinary Center, presents the First Global Gastronomy Tourism Startup Competition.
Identify challenges and projects, and catalyzing innovations that can transform the Gastronomy Tourism sector in the near future.
The projects must be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals established by the United Nations and the introduction or adaptation of digital and technological elements, and focused on one (or several) of the following areas:
- Destination management or private management of solutions/products/services developed around gastronomy as gastronomic tourism products;
- Supply-side configuration seeking a balance between sustainable development and the profitability of the project, maximizing the positive impacts on the community;
- Connection with the market and the user experience in all phases of the trip;
- The integration of sustainability in the project´s business plan, specifically the conservation of local ingredients and the relationship between culture, heritage, gastronomy, tourism and economic growth
The projects will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Innovation and descriptiveness;
- Potential impact and scalability;
- Initially validated or tested business model;
- Suitable and committed team;
- Partnership Readiness;
- Sustainability in the value proposition;
- Technological or digital component.
They are looking for startups with the most disruptive ideas focused on solving real needs in the tourism and gastronomy sector with a responsible approach.
In particular, they are targeting startups that are:
- In the Early Stage or Series A Stage;
- Both for-profit and non-profit;
- Natural or legal persons;
- Startups with a minimum viable product (MVP);
- Startups with potential for scalability;
- Startups with a sustainable vision.
Read the terms and conditions here.
The 5 finalist projects will have the opportunity to attend the 5th UNWTO World Forum on Gastronomy Tourism in San Sebastian on 2-3 May 2019.
- Global visibility through UNWTO and Basque Culinary channels
- Travel and accommodation expenses to San Sebastian, Spain, for one representative per team, for 2 nights and access to contacts of investors and potential clients, in the case this is considered appropriate for each beneficiary startup.
- The winner will go on to participate in a work process for the design of a pilot with the Basque Culinary Center and the accelerator Culinary Action! which must be carried out within 6 months of the winner’s appointment. In these 6 months, Basque Culinary Center will decide on whether or not to implement the pilot project derived from said work process. Basque Culinary Center reserves the right to implement the pilot.
How to apply?
In order to apply, you must fill in the application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.