Open to: full-time and part-time 2L students who are attending school in the US
Benefits: paid opportunity that also provides mentorship and exposure
The Google Legal Summer Institute (LSI) is a unique in-house and law firm experience where underrepresented 2L law school students are invited to spend the first week of the program at Google Headquarters in California followed by a full summer internship with one of our partner law firms around the country. LSI aims to improve access to in-house careers at tech companies by expanding opportunities and removing barriers for underrepresented talent in the legal industry. LSI scholars are a diverse group of students with interests across all legal practice areas.
LSI measures success through four objectives:
- Providing scholars with summer internships at prestigious law firms;
- Providing early exposure to the in-house experience at Google for students underrepresented in the legal field;
- Sharing information across the corporate sector regarding best practices to develop a legal internship program that develops underrepresented talent;
- Improving diversity within law firms, especially Google’s outside counsel.
They encourage LSI scholars to participate in Google’s learning and development culture through a week of dynamic and skill-based learning opportunities to enhance their legal skills.
To apply, students must:
- Have US work authorization;
- Be a 2L full-time (class of 2020) or part-time (class of winter 2020/spring 2021) student;
- Attend an ABA-approved law school;
- Demonstrate academic excellence:
- Provide undergraduate and law school transcripts;
- Provide resume.
- Complete one essay question: The Legal Summer Institute Program is an opportunity to (i) learn about the in-house counsel role at Google, (ii) explore cutting-edge issues at the intersection of tech and the law and (iii) provide access to a summer internship in tech-related private practice. In 500 words or less, please tell us how this program will help you achieve your legal career goals. Please incorporate examples showcasing your leadership, impact, and commitment to diversity and equity in your response;
- Submit one short video (suggested): In two minutes or less, show us why you will be a good fit for this program. Feel free to get creative. Smartphone recordings are welcome. Upload your video in the application;
- Share your location and practice area preference with us.
Students who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented in the technology industry, including but not limited to Black, Hispanic, and Native American students, students with disabilities, LGBT students, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
LSI is a paid opportunity and all participating partner firms pay scholars the same weekly rate as their other summer associates, for one week at Google and the full summer program with your law firm. There are no specific requirements regarding LSI Scholars’ law firm work assignments. We recommend that assignments provide a good balance of quality and quantity and contain substance and variety. Firms participating in the LSI Program are not expected to offer program participants an opportunity to be employed in the future. However, we hope that firms do invite scholars back the following summer if they are a good fit. Office placement location will be at the discretion of the firm.
The program enables LSI scholars to develop their networking skills by connecting with and investing in a mentor. A mentor is an unbiased resource, untied to the scholar’s work, who will aid in the scholar’s development by expanding their Googler network, providing legal career advice, sharing insight into outside counsel firms and building an authentic relationship.
The LSI team facilitates candid conversations with leaders throughout their week at Google. Past speakers include David Drummond, Alphabet Chief Legal Officer, Kent Walker, Google Chief Legal Officer, and Halimah DeLaine Prado, Google Legal Vice President.
How to apply?
For more information, please visit the official web page.