Deadline: 1 December 2018
Open to: applicants who currently serve as the executive director (or equivalent) or the head of a major department within an arts or cultural organization in a paid, permanent capacity
Benefits: Per diem to cover living and studding expenses during the Fellowship as well as travel and visa expenses support
The Institute’s fellowship program is offered free of charge to arts and cultural executives from across the United States and around the world who are selected through a competitive application process. These fellows attend a four-week program in residence in Washington, D.C. each summer for three consecutive years.
Designed for individuals who have dedicated themselves to management, rather than artistic leadership, the program supports leaders in positions of decision-making authority in developing, implementing, and refining organizational strategies over a three-year, cohort-based engagement.
- Intensive, practical training in artistic & strategic planning, marketing, fundraising, board development, finance, community engagement, and evaluation;
- Access to leaders of cultural institutions from throughout the United States, including site visits to select institutions;
- Intensive, collaborative group work;
- Ongoing personalized mentoring, both during and between the month-long residencies.
First-year, second-year, and third-year fellows attend residencies together and engage in activities tailored to their year in the program
The fellowship is designed to be pursued through the context of each Fellow’s current organization. As such, applicants must:
- Currently serve as the executive director (or equivalent) or the head of a major department within an arts or cultural organization in a paid, permanent capacity. While the program is equally equipped to serve applicants from both large and small institutions, the applicant’s organization must have at least one full-time staff member, five years of consistent programming history, and an operating budget of at least the equivalent of 250,000 USD / 220,000 EUR;
- Have an excellent command of business English, orally and written;
- Be able to commit to the full term of the Fellowship (Washington D.C. residency dates are July 1 – 26, 2019; June 29 – July 24, 2020; and June 28 – July 23, 2021. (Fellows participate in virtual activities in between residencies).
- Air and ground transportation between Washington, D.C. and their state or country of residence;
- Lodging during the Fellowship;
- Per diem to cover living expenses during the Fellowship;
- Visa sponsorship (for international applicants);
- Program materials.
How to apply?
The fellowship application process includes a Letter of Intent (LOI) followed by a Full Application for selected finalists.
For further information please visit the official website.