Deadline: 21 December 2018
Open to: applicants must be aged between 23 and 45 year committed to improving society through their work in relevant organisations
Benefits: grants for each fellowship vary by the duration of stay, the programme covers the round trip flight and accommodation
Step outside the cultural box and gain professional experience in a different cultural environment! The CrossCulture Programme (CCP) – conducted by the Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen (ifa) – supports you in this endeavour. For more than 12 years, they have been enabling young professionals and volunteers to work for two to three months in Germany (for non-German applicants only) or in one of the 35 participating countries (for German applicants only). The intercultural and professional fellowship is funded by the Federal Foreign Office of Germany.
Through work in institutions and organisations in Germany or abroad, you will gain international experiences and build intercultural competences. The host organisation benefits from your expertise, regional knowledge and networks. The temporary cooperation often leads to long-term professional ties and friendships. After your time abroad you can network with other programme participants and pass on your knowledge. Your home organisation will also benefit from your acquired knowledge.
The CrossCulture Programme offers working experiences in the following fields:
- Politics & Society
- Human Rights & Peace Building
- Sustainable Development
- Media & Culture
Participants who spend their fellowship time in Germany come from these countries:
Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Mauritania, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Uzbekistan.
The opposite applies to German applicants. They can plan their stay for two to three months in one of the participating countries.
Young professionals and long-term volunteers with at least two years of professional experience are eligible to apply for CCP. Applications by enrolled students cannot be considered. Professional experience is expected in the following fields of work:
• human rights & peace building
• sustainable development
• media & cultureA long-term involvement in an organisation or institution within the country of residency is assumed. Applicants must be aged between 23 and 45 years. All candidates applying must be citizens of the above mentioned countries or should have been granted permanent residence of one of those countries. Moreover, the applicant must be in a good physical condition – physical as well as mental working capacity are needed for a long stay abroad. A good command of English is expected from all fellows. Knowledge of German is not mandatory but considered a plus. For German applicants knowledge of the lingua franca in the host country is welcomed (French, Arabic).
The CrossCulture Programme is designed for people between 23 and 45 who are committed to improving society through their work in relevant organisations. The participants come mainly from Muslim-majority countries (approximately 80% of all selected fellows) as well as from Germany.
accommodation in Germany
travel expenses incl. visa fees
public transportation at destination
refund of travel expenses (economy flight) incl. visa fee
The round trip flight is booked and paid by ifa. Once your travel arrangements have been confirmed and you have received your ticket it is not possible to change its schedule. Extra or oversize luggage that is not included in your ticket cannot be covered by ifa.
How to apply?
- letter of motivation (please use the template);
- recommendation letter by your current employer / home organisation (please use the template);
- photo (optional).
Please pay attention to the technical requirements (e.g. size of documents) and make sure that you have all the necessary documents available when starting the application process, as partial applications cannot be saved. Only fully completed applications will be eligible. Do not send your application via e-mail to ifa as those applications will not be considered!