Deadline: 11 January 2019
Open to: young people from all over the world interested in a journalism program with an international broadcaster
Benefits: monthly salary up to EUR 1.855
DW’s traineeship is one of the most prestigious journalism training programs in Europe, giving young journalists from all over the world the chance to learn all the skills needed to work successfully as a multimedia reporter and editor.
DW is looking for young people from all over the world interested in a comprehensive, exceptional quality journalism program with an international broadcaster. Candidates should have journalism experience or be passionate about switching to journalism from technology/IT, economics or the sciences. We are looking for open-minded people full of creative ideas.
DW trainees are involved in long-term innovative, international projects and have been honored in past years with the CNN Journalism Award and the Grimme Prize. After the traineeship, the trainees usually continue to work for DW.
The traineeship lasts 18 months and it takes you through the ABCs of journalism – everything from theory basics to live reporting and multimedia storytelling. The 18-month multimedia traineeship is for online, radio and television, and comprises:
• six months of theory and practice-oriented seminar blocks held in English and German and conducted by working journalists
• nine months of placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn, Berlin and one of their foreign bureaus in Brussels, Washington or Moscow
• a one-month placement with DW’s partner broadcaster, Deutschlandradio
• four weeks of vacation
- native speaker of one of DW’s languages, and excellent English and German skills;
- completed university degree, college degree or apprenticeship (we are especially looking for those with a background in technology/IT, science, politics or economics);
- basic journalism experience;
- content published or broadcast;
- creative mind;
- an excellent judge of journalism content;
- social media experience;
- ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both within teams and individually;
- strong MS Office skills, basic audio and video production skills, data skills.
During the initial six months of the trainereship, you earn a pre-tax monthly salary of 1.590 EUR. That increases to 1.790 EUR for the following six months, and to 1.855 EUR for the final six months. Deutsche Welle’s traineeship is a full-time program. In exceptional cases, temporary employment outside of the program may be approved.
How to apply?
To start your application process,please complete the form here.
For further information, please visit the official website.