Deadline: 7 February 2019
Open to: researchers with a doctoral degree
Benefits: selected applicants will be appointed as program-specific full-time faculty members
In 2009, the Hakubi Project to Foster and Support Young Researchers was inaugurated at Kyoto University. The University appoints promising young researchers as program-specific faculty members, and supports the research activities of top level researchers from around the world, to develop visionary researchers who will pioneer new paths in their respective academic fields.
Since 2016, the Project now supports two types of appointments: Global Type and Tenure-track Type. The Tenure-track Type is a part of “the Leading Initiative for Excellent Young Researchers (LEADER)” subsidized by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology in Japan (MEXT).
Research projects in all fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are welcome.
Around 10 applicants will be appointed.
- Researchers with a doctoral degree (or equivalent research abilities) are eligible. All nationalities are welcome;
- Those who have previously been appointed to the Hakubi Project to Foster and Support Young Researchers are not eligible;
- It is not possible to apply for both the Global Type and Tenure-track Type appointments at the same academic year in Japan.
Selected applicants will be appointed as program-specific full-time faculty members (associate professor or assistant professor with an annual salary on limited-term contracts), in compliance with the Rules of Employment for Fixed-Term Program-Specific Faculty Members. Their salaries will be determined in accordance with the existing employment regulations of Kyoto University.
How to apply?
- Register the applicant’s information using the form available on the website below and make your account.
- Login your account.
- Upload your proposal converted to PDF (“Proposal for the Kyoto University Hakubi Project to Foster and Support Young Researchers [Global Type]”) in your account.
- Applications will be accepted only after both the online registration and the upload of your proposal are finished.
For details, see “Guidelines for Preparing the Proposal Form” explains each section.
For more detailed information, please visit the official website.