Deadline: 29 January 2019
Open to: applicants with a Master’s Degree or equivalent in law, human rights, gender studies, social work, political, social sciences or related fields preferred and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
Benefits: service contract for 1 year with possibility for extension
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. The adoption of the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (Istanbul Convention), and the fact that countries have to harmonize national legislation with the EU’s acquis as part of the accession process, has created an opportunity to step up UN Women’s Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECA RO) capacity to bring a regional perspective to human rights-based programming in relation to regional and international agreements, and the European Union (EU) normative frameworks for accession countries related to gender equality discrimination, and more particularly, on ending violence against women in Western Balkans and Turkey.UN Women in Albania is working closely with the Government and Civil Society Organizations to address all forms of violence against women, including sexual violence and harassment. One of the main priorities is to ensure that national policies and legislation be improved and implemented in compliance with Albania’s international human rights commitments and obligations. UN Women focuses also on challenging harmful gender stereotypes and discrimination, which are among the key root causes of violence against women. In close collaboration with civil society organizations, UN Women regularly undertakes awareness-raising and outreach initiatives. In addition, UN Women in Albania is working to reach a shared understanding on the range of services and responses required for the provision of services essential to women and girls subjected to violence and reaching out some of the most disadvantaged groups of women. They include Roma and Egyptian women, women with disabilities, or women from the LGBTI community. The focus is to advocate for the removal of barriers that these women face in accessing available services.
Civil Society Organizations are among the most trusted partners of UN Women in Albania in the area violence against women, where they focus on strengthening the capacity of women’s organizations and enhancing their positions as leaders of change.
Within this context, the UN Women office in Albania is seeking a programme Manager, who will be responsible inter alia for the implementation of the UN Women EVAW portfolio including the regional programme “Implementing Norms, Changing Minds *1) the UN Joint Programme on EVAW *2) under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme Unit based in Tirana, Albania and in close collaboration with the Regional EVAW Programme Manager. The Programme Manager will liaise with government officials, civil society organizations, donors, and other UN Agencies for ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in law, human rights, gender studies, social work, political, social sciences or related fields preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in coordinating, programming and reporting; previous experience in the development and/or humanitarian sector particularly on gender equality and violence against women;
- Proven track record and experience in reporting and communicating results, and developing a programme and project planning documents;
- Proven experience of understanding issues of human rights, gender equality and violence against women;
- Understanding of Albanian and international normative framework on GE and EVAW as well as of government and non-government working on gender equality in Albania;
- Prior experience with UN or similar international organizations would be desirable;
- Prior working experience as lawyer dealing with cases of gender-based violence would be highly desirable.
The selected candidate will sign a service contract for 1 year with possibility for extension.
How to apply?
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via the UNDP Albania Jobs website: http://www.al.undp.org/content/albania/en/home/operations/jobs.html
Applications should contain:
- Cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the “Resume and Motivation” section of the online application.
- Completed and signed UN Personal History Form – http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment