Deadline: 30 April 2019
Open to: everyone
Benefits: cash prizes
The University of Coimbra, the University of Salamanca, the City Council of Guarda and the Polytechnic Institute of Guarda established a strategic partnership that enabled the creation of the Centro de Estudos Ibéricos (CEI) – Center for Iberian Studies, determined on reinforcing cultural and scientific axis organized by the cities and corresponding Universities, with the mission to promote initiatives that engage with the low density territories, particularly the peripheral and close to the border, as an active involvement in territorial cooperation.
Pursuing this mission and taking into account the importance that photography assumes in contemporary societies, the Transversalities Project uses photography as a way to promote the inclusion of territories and regional cooperation, with the following objectives:
- to take advantage of the aesthetic, documental and educational value of the image to promote the inclusion of less visible areas by identifying resources, enhancing landscapes, cultures, and heritage;
- to promote cooperation between people, institutions and territories, within and beyond frontiers endorsing the exchange of experiences and knowledge between places unified by the common Iberian range, spread across different countries from different continents;
- to create new audiences and use new communication technologies as a privileged way to communicate, appealing to young college students and thus widen the international network of researchers that CEI has been sponsoring over the years.
Photos must allude to one of the following subjects:
- Landscapes, biodiversity and natural heritage (Natural resources and risks; use, management and planning of natural areas; diversity of contexts and intercourse between man and the environment, etc.).
- Rural areas, agriculture and settlement (Goods and agricultural products, organization of rural areas; places and rural architecture, mobility, etc.).
- The city and the urbanization process (City, architecture, regeneration and urbanization processes; landscapes, urban environments and experiences, etc.).
- Culture and society: cultural diversity and social inclusion(Constructed legacy and cultural heritage, ways of life and social conditions; fight against poverty and social exclusion, etc.)
- The applicant must guarantee that pictures:
- are originals
- don’t include any identifcation element of its author
- have not yet been published, exhibited or previously rewarded;
- Formats and dimensions of the photos:
- After filling out the application form, please send the photos in digital format, JPG type [file high quality compression (9)], for the email address [email protected] In order to upload files larger than 20MB, send through the www.wetransfer.com site.that the pictures are originals
- Contestants must only send a single file – type zip or rar- which should contain all the contest photos.
- Photos must have a screen resolution of 72 dpi and size (W * or H) from 2000 to 2500 pixels (horizontal* or vertical, according to the angle of the photo);
- The authors of the awarded photos may posteriorly be contacted in order to provide the files of the photos with a higher resolution in order to make a public exhibit of their work, which is a necessary condition to receive the award (Point 9, number 2 of this regulation)
- Of all participants and photos submitted to the competition will be selected and awarded the following:
- The Overall Winner (1) for the best and most complete submitted portfolio will receive EUR 1500.
- The Winner of each theme (4) for the best and most complete portfolio will receive EUR 750.
- The Jury will also award up to 12 portfolios, being each one awarded with EUR 150.
- The financial support will be delivered until de 31st of December 2019. If it is not possible to contact the winner, the support will only be able to be claimed until the 31st of January 2020.
How to apply?
- Registration is free and universal.
- Each candidate may only submit one portfolio with six (6) photos about a single subject of the contest
- Applications will be submitted electronically through the www.cei.pt website and contestants must submit:
- the application form properly filled with the following fields: personal information about the author; description for each photo;
- file with portfolio of six (6) photos. The file name must be identified by the identification the number of each contestant: identity card number, passport or other. (Ex: 122258045.zip). Send to the e-mail [email protected]
- declaration accepting the conditions of the contest;
- Each contestant will be assigned a code that will identify the candidate before the jury.
For more information please visit the official website.