Deadline: 1 April 2019
Open to: international students
Benefits: for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month; for PhD students – 670 EUR per month
Latvian Government is now accepting applications for ‘Study Scholarships’ to pursue undergraduate, master and Ph.D. degree. These scholarships are available to international students for the academic year 2019-2020.
Scholarships are offered to foreign students, researchers and teaching staff who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies for studies, research, and participation in summer schools.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- Eligible Countries: Citizens from countries that have signed an Agreement* on co-operation in education and science: Azerbaijan, Italy, Tajikistan, Belgium (Federation Wallonia – Brussels), Kazakhstan, The People`s Republic of China, Bulgaria, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Croatia, Mexico, Turkmenistan, Cyprus, Moldova, Ukraine, Finland, Mongolia, Uzbekistan, France, Peru, Georgia, South Korea, Israel and Spain. Citizens from countries that offer scholarships for Latvian students, researchers and teaching staff without formal agreements on co-operation in education and science: Austria, Germany, Indonesia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Greece, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, Lithuania, Switzerland, Estonia, Iceland, Norway, The United States of America
- Entrance Requirements: Criteria is:
- Citizens from countries that have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. To see countries, citizens of which are eligible to apply for the scholarships;
- The language of instruction at Latvian higher education institutions is mainly Latvian, however, there are a few study programmes offered in English (please, visit the website www.studyinlatvia.lv for more information);
- Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home higher education institution or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2018).
- For bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
- For Ph.D. students – 670 EUR per month;
- All study programmes in English at Latvian higher education institutions are not free of charge. The Latvian scholarship holder can use the scholarship for the covering of the tuition fee or for accommodation and meals. Please take into account that the amount of the scholarship is not high enough to cover all expenses in Latvia;
- In limited numbers, the host higher education institution provides the scholarship holder with a place in a students’ dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation at the international student dormitories need to be submitted one month before arriving at a respective higher education institution;
- In any month in which the foreign student is present in the territory of Latvia for less than 15 calendar days, no scholarship is provided;
- The Latvian scholarship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships;
- Travel expenses from a home country to and from Latvia are not covered by the Latvian scholarship;
- Scholarship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage;
- Scholarships for applicants from one country may not exceed 10% of the total grant amount for study scholarships.
- Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please log in here.
The system will require the following documents to be uploaded:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). Please use the Europass template: europass.cedefop.europa.eu;
- Letter of motivation (including activities outside studies related to the study field in Latvia or in the home country, e. g. work in professional organizations, participation in scientific conferences, international projects);
- Photocopies of diplomas of higher education and supplements or a transcript of records of the last two study semesters (if studies are not completed);
- Copies of two letters of recommendation from academic staff members, signed within the last six months;
- A copy of a letter of the relevant Latvian higher education institution, confirming the foreigner’s opportunity to study in the chosen study programme and informing about the language of instruction (Latvian or other EU official language). Please send to the contact person of the Latvian HEI your CV and diploma supplement (or transcript of records of the last two semesters if studies are not completed jet);
- Study plan for the duration of the scholarship;
- A copy of a certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies;
- Copy of an ID (identification document) or a passport.
For more information, please visit the official web page.