Deadline: 31 May 2019
Open to: international students that hold a master degree (usually in literary studies)
Benefits: two scholarships are awarded to international PhD-students working in the field of literary studies
The Graduate School Practices of Literature (GSPoL) at the University of Münster in- vites international students in literary studies to apply for a PhD scholarship starting on October 1, 2019. The four-year scholarship is part of the Graduate School Schol- arship Programme (GSSP) funded by the German Academic Exchange Service / Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD). The program revolves around three main research areas:
- Literature, Culture and Society;
- Theories of Literature and Culture;
- Literary and Cultural Studies and the Professional World.
Areas of study: English/American Studies, Arabic/Islamic Studies, Baltic Studies, Book Studies, German Studies, Comparative Studies, Latin Philology/Studies, (Neo-)Medieval Latin Studies, Dutch Studies, Scandinavian Studies, Romance Stud- ies (main areas: French, Spanish and Italian Literature), Sinology, and Slavonic Stud- ies.
– Master’s/Magister/Staatsexamen degree (usually in literary studies) with a minimum grade of “gut” (2.0);
– German, English and, possibly, additional foreign language skills according to § 5 (2) of the GSPoL study regulations1 (if necessary, the DAAD programme may include a preparatory German language course);
– applicants must have received their master’s degree (i.e. taken their last fi- nal exam) no more than six years prior to the time when the DAAD receives the nomination letter;
– applicants should not have resided in Germany for more than fifteen months prior to the nomination to the DAAD.
The Graduate School Practices of Literature is admitted into the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) of the DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst). In the framework of the GSSP, two scholarships are awarded to international PhD-students working in the field of literary studies.
How to apply?
The application has 3 steps that consists of:
Step 1: Application to the GSPoL (via email as a single PDF file to [email protected]) including:
– letter of motivation stating the reasons for the application to the GSPoL
– curriculum vitae (without photograph)
– proof that the applicant has completed a master’s degree (usually in literary studies) with a minimum grade of “gut” (2.0) (according to § 5 (1) of the GSPoL study regulations)
– proof of German, English and, possibly, additional foreign language skills
– brief (approx. half-page) abstract of the PhD project
– project proposal of about 10 pages in length, including a title, table of contents, detailed outline (of the topic; its originality and significance; aims and methodology), as well as a bibliography
– timeline, including optional stays/studies abroad of up to one year in total (= 25% of the duration of the scholarship), which may not be scheduled at the beginning of the programme
– two letters of reference;
Step 2: personal interview at the GSPoL
Step 3: nomination to the DAAD and standard application procedure at and final de- cision by the DAAD
For more information, please visit the official web page.