Deadline: 12 June 2019
Open to: Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, the Baltic states, and the Caucasus
Benefits: fully funded
Journalists in the early and mid-stages of their career looking for the chance to develop their skills in reporting on cross-border issues in order to enhance their professional skills and network are invited to apply for the VII season of “Cross-border journalism” program.
VII season of “Cross-border journalism” programme will take place in North and South Caucasus. Journalists and freelancers working in teams will develop cross-border projects with a support of experienced mentors and successful Alumni.
This program will involve the following activities: workshops on journalistic skills in interviewing and working with new media formats, use of social media, and field exercise were working in teams and with a support of experienced mentors participants could practice in developing cross-border projects. Participants may undertake 2-5 days short-research trips for better understanding issues they report on.
This programme will involve the following activities:
- 11-14 July 2019. Workshops on interviewing skills, longreads, new media formats, and seminars where teams can meet up with Perspektivy mentors to discuss ideas, work on story angles and plan a road-map forward.
- 15 July 2019 – 5 September 2019. A mentoring phase, where the participants return to their home destinations and continue work remotely with experienced mentors and senior journalists as they work on producing their stories.
- Each team can choose most convenient time from the mentoring phase period to undertake short-term research trip to collect information for their cross-border story. Travel costs and per diem will be reimbursed by the programme.
- 6-8 September 2019. Workshops on social media promotion and two days review session where the teams meet again to finalise their pieces and discuss them with mentors and journalists on the scheme.
- 20 September 2019 approximate date of publishing stories.
– Journalists and freelancers must apply with a story idea that transcends a national border;
– Priority will be given to those team applications where participants of the team are from different countries and media outlets;
– This scheme is open to journalists, freelancers, bloggers producing stories in Russian for Russian-language media outlets and professionally based in Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, the Baltic states, and the Caucasus;
– Applicants must be professional journalists, freelancers, at the early to mid-point of their, career with a minimum of three years of work experience.
– The working language of the program is Russian. No translation at any point will be provided.
Successful candidates will receive professional mentoring, assistance for research trips arrangements and reimbursement of costs for those trips. Perspektivy does not practice paying honorariums. Travel costs, accommodation and per diem for both program launch and closing workshops and seminars will also be covered by the program.
How to apply?
You will be asked to provide examples of your work and any form of confirmation from editors who may be interested in publishing the story you applied with. Please note that the size of any uploaded files must not exceed 5 MB.
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.