Open to: refugees with recognised refugee status
Benefits: scholarship covers a wide range of costs, including tuition, fees, study materials, food, transportation, accommodation and other expenses
The DAFI (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative) scholarship program offers refugee students the possibility to earn an undergraduate degree in their country of asylum. Through the dedicated support of the German Government, and private donors, the programme has supported over 14,000 young refugees to undertake tertiary studies since 1992. The strategic priorities of the DAFI programme are to:
- Promote self-reliance of sponsored students through opportunities for employment and entrepreneurship;
- Empower students to contribute knowledge, skills and leadership to the refugee community, and to facilitate peaceful coexistence with host communities during displacement;
- Strengthen the protective impact of education by encouraging lifelong learning for young refugees;
- Foster future role models for refugee children and youth to demonstrate the impact of education on individuals, communities and societies.
In order to be eligible, a candidate must:
- be a refugee with recognised refugee status;
- have successfully completed secondary schooling to a high standard;
- have no other means of support for university studies;
- select a course of study that is likely to lead to employment in the country of origin with maximum three to four years duration;
- not be older than 28 years at the beginning of studies;
- have no other family member receiving a DAFI scholarship.
In 2019, DAFI scholarships are available in 52 countries, namely:
Sub-Sahara Africa: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia & Zimbabwe.
Middle East & Northern Africa (MENA): Algeria, Egypt, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco, Syria & Yemen.
Asia & Pacific: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan &Tajikistan.
The Americas: Ecuador & Mexico.
Europe: Azerbaijan, Russian Federation, Turkey & Ukraine.
The scholarship covers a wide range of costs, including tuition, fees, study materials, food, transportation, accommodation and other expenses. To amplify academic achievement and skills development, DAFI scholars receive additional support through close monitoring, academic preparatory and language classes based on students’ needs, as well as mentoring and networking opportunities.
How to apply?
- Check in the list above if there is a current DAFI Programme in your country of asylum.
- Check if you meet the above-mentioned criteria.
- You can contact the respective office by emailing your country of interest in the following contact form.
- Complete the country specific application form and submit as indicated on the form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.