Deadline: 30 September 2019
Open to: women of African nationality, Ph.D. holders with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
Benefits: fully funded
Following the success of 1st four editions, the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through its women, is launching the 5th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health, agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change, as well as mathematics and economic science.
To achieve this ambitious goal, FMxA collaborates with the Spanish Centres of Excellence, whose prestige is unanimously recognized throughout Spain and internationally, thereby ensuring excellence in scientific research in various fields. In this 5th edition our associated research centres are:
Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
Institute for Neuroscience (IN)
Kronikgune Research Center
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
Donostia International Physics Center
Material Physics Center – (MPC-CFM)
Principe Felipe Research Center (CIPF)
Spanish National Center of Biotechnology (CNB)
Institute for Sustainable Agriculture (IAS)
Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT)
Campus of International Excellence in Agrifood
Each of these centres will host 1 senior woman researcher with at least 3 years of post-doctoral experience for a six-month fellowship. Applications will be subjected to a rigorous selection process, evaluating the academic merits and leadership of the applicants as well as the scientific quality and expected impact of their research projects. Selected candidates will receive training and integration in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly competitive working team, where they will be able to develop their research projects and acquire complementary skills, empowering them to transfer their research results into tangible economic and social benefit.
- Being a woman;
- Nationality of an African country;
- Ph.D. with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience;
- A contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated;
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience;
- Solid working knowledge of English;
- Proven experience leading a research group.
- Being hosted by research center for the whole duration of the research stay;
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution;
- Living allowance of 2.400 EURgross per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.