Deadline: 7 September 2019
Open to: candidates aged 16-21 who are interested in engaging in the field of education
Benefits: all residential session and summit related costs covered
The WISE Learners’ Voice Program brings the perspectives of young people to the challenge of rethinking education and equips them to take on leading roles in their fields and in the world of education. The Program is based on the idea that when learners are co-creators of their learning environments, they become active participants invested as stakeholders in the progress of their communities. The Program focuses on building knowledge of education, social entrepreneurship, leadership, and communication skills.
The Learners’ Voice Program was established in 2010 to engage the views and creative energies of young people in addressing pressing global education issues and challenges. The current Learners’ Voice community comprises over 200 Learners from many countries, including Qatar. They represent different backgrounds and disciplines but all share a passion for education. Together they represent a unique perspective within the WISE community.
The threefold objectives of the program to give young people:
- The tools and resources they need to ensure their voices are heard
- A platform to voice their opinions and discuss with policy makers, educators and innovators in education
- An opportunity to participate and engage at WISE 2019 and to have their work creative work published by WISE.
The 2019 Learners’ Voice Program will serve as a unique opportunity for motivated young people to join peers from around the world to voice their collective aspirations for education. Through interactive workshops, experiential sessions and creative exercises, Learners will gain the skills and mindsets required to forge their place in designing the future of education.
Alumni from past Learners’ Voice cohorts will be actively involved in the delivery of this program.
- Candidates must be aged 16-21 who are interested in engaging in the field of education;
- Candidates must have a valid travel document;
- Candidates must be willing and available to travel to Doha from 16-22 November 2019;
- Candidates should be proficient in spoken and written English, and should be comfortable presenting and speaking in public;
- Candidates must be curious minded, flexible and comfortable in multicultural environments;
- Candidates must demonstrate creativity and reflection in their creative submissions on the selected prompt;
- The candidate clearly demonstrates engagement in social issues and how s/he has sought to overcome them through innovative ideas, and initiatives;
- Candidates must secure approval from their schools/institutions to attend the program, and parents if under 18 years of age.
WISE will cover all residential session and summit related costs such as return flights, accommodation, and meals for all selected participants.
How to apply?
The Learners’ Voice recruitment process includes three steps:
- Application Form:
Candidates must complete the online application form with accurate information through the portal here.
- Creative Submission:
Candidates must also submit a short creative piece in the form of an essay, story, poem, film or any other creative medium in response to one of the eight prompts below:
- What does it mean to be “educated”?
- Teachers VS Technology – Is it the end of the teaching profession, as we know it?
- Design the school of tomorrow (this can include any aspect of the school, from the physical space to the curriculum, etc.)
- What would you change about your education experience?
- What does “global citizenship” mean to you?
- What values do you think are important to be reflected in your community (and how should they be taught in schools)?
- Is a university / college education necessary or even relevant today?
- Does your education prepare you for success in life?Written pieces should be at least 500 words or more
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview between June and September and the cohort will be announced in November.
For more information, please visit the official web page