Deadline: 30 September 2019
Open to: writers from anywhere in the world
Award: cash awards
The Galley Beggar Press particularly keen to support writers of great literary talent writing outside the norm, who push the boundaries of form and language. Over the past six years, our authors have gone on to be longlisted, shortlisted, and the winners of over twenty of the world’s most prestigious literary awards, including the Women’s Prize for Fiction, The Welcome Book Prize, The Goldsmiths Prize, The Desmond Elliott Prize, The Jan Michalski Prize, The Folio Prize, The Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize, and the Frank O’Connor Short Story Prize.
GALLEY BEGGAR PRESS is run by its co-founders, Sam Jordison and Eloise Millar.
- The competition is open to both unpublished and published writers, and from anywhere in the world.
- The story must be written in English.
- Entries must not exceed 6,000 words.
- Stories that have been previously published (online or in print form) will not be eligible.
- The cost of entry for each short story is GBP 10.
- The winning author will receive GBP 2000.
- Shortlisted authors will each receive GBP 150.
- Longlisted authors will receive GBP 50 of book vouchers and a 4-book subscription to Galley Beggar Press.
How to apply?
To enter the award, there are two simple steps:
(1) Enter your details (name and email address) and then upload your story by clicking on the ‘choose file’ widget beneath these notes.
(2) Hit ‘submit’ and you’ll be taken through to a PayPal payment page.* Once you’ve paid, the story will be sent to us. Easy!
For further information, please visit the official web page.