Deadline: 1 October 2019
Open to: graduate students and recent graduates of political science, law, international relations or other related fields from OSCE participating States and Partners for Co-operation
Benefits: an allowance of EUR 656 per month plus free housing for research assistants in Copenhagen and an allowance of EUR 1,000 per month for assistants in Vienna
The OSCE PA Research Assistant Programme is open to graduate students and recent graduates of political science, law, international relations or other related fields from OSCE participating States and Partners for Co-operation. Research Assistants develop their knowledge of international politico-military, economic and environmental, and human rights affairs and build their professional skills in areas connected to the work of the Parliamentary Assembly.
Research Assistants conduct background research on topics relevant for the activities of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly. They draft a variety of documents, such as briefing reports, speeches, statements, talking points, minutes of meetings and background papers, to support the work of the Assembly, including in the context of election observation missions, various official visits, meetings and special projects carried out by the International Secretariat.
Moreover, Assistants in Vienna attend official meetings of the OSCE decision-making bodies and other informal meetings of the OSCE participating States and write concise reports thereof to keep the Assembly abreast of key security developments and negotiations taking place.
Assistants are also asked to complete administrative tasks, such as day-to-day practical work in the office, translation and proofreading of official documents, filing and other necessary tasks. On an ad hoc basis, Assistants may attend the events of the Assembly conducted in the field, such as election observations, statutory meetings, field visits, etc.
Research Assistant positions demand a six-month time commitment, and all Assistants are expected to abide by the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly’s Code of Conduct.
Research Assistant positions are granted for a six-month period.
The main requirements for a candidate are:
- Citizenship in one of the OSCE participating States, or Partners for Co-operation, up to 28 years of age;
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Political Science, International Relations, Law or a related field. Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their degree if all requirements for their MA have been fully completed;
- Excellent written and spoken English is mandatory. Knowledge of other official OSCE languages (Russian, French, German, Italian and Spanish) is a strong asset;
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Keen interest in international security affairs and parliamentary diplomacy;
- Previous experience of working in an international organization or in a parliament is desirable;
- Familiarity with issues related to elections, human rights, arms control, transnational threats, migration, countering terrorism, good governance, climate change, media affairs, conference management, finance and administration is an asset;
- Computer literacy, including of word processing and research tools.
The Assembly provides Research Assistants in Copenhagen with an allowance of EUR 656 per month plus free housing. For Assistants in Vienna, the Assembly provides an allowance of EUR 1,000 per month to cover for basic expenses and accommodation.
How to apply?
Applications for the OSCE PA Research Assistant Programme are accepted at any time of year, with the main intake of Assistants for the year occurring in February/March.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form;
- Concise cover letter;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Transcript of grades from the applicant’s master’s degree;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- One recent photograph.
Please submit completed applications by email firstname.lastname@example.org to attention of: Ms. DANA BJERREGAARD, indicating in the title of the email your name/surname, country of citizenship and preferred date for starting the Assistantship.
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.