Deadline: 10 January 2020
Open to: anyone and everyone across the world
Benefits: funding, support and mentorship
#IdeasChangeLives is a global innovation challenge to find digital solutions to some of the world’s greatest problems.
They are looking for people with a fresh, entrepreneurial spirit and a big idea that has the potential to make a positive impact for communities across the globe.
This year, they are looking for ideas that will help to meet any or all of the targets within one of the three Global Goals for Sustainable Development below:
Goal 4: Quality education: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
Goal 5: Gender equality: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
Goal 8: Decent work and economic growth: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
They are looking for thoughtful, creative and unusual digital solutions. So, even if you only have the very seed of an idea, as long as you have given it real thought, applications are encouraged.
To help, they recommend thinking carefully about the following before you apply:
- The need your idea addresses – be clear about which one of The Global Goals you are focusing on and the problem your idea could help to solve;
- How people will benefit – tell us why your idea matters to the people it is designed for and how it has the potential to positively impact thousands of lives;
- Why it’s compelling – they need to feel that you really care about making a difference so tell us the story behind your idea;
- The competition – show us you have a clear understanding and awareness of any competitors who may be working on similar products and tell us why your idea is different;
- The tools and resources needed to turn it into a product – it doesn’t matter if you haven’t worked with technology before. What does matter is a clear understanding of how your idea will work in the real world.
Funding to get your idea off the ground
GBP 20,000 in prize money to develop your product, no matter what stage you’re at.
Support to help you succeed
The team of digital experts will help you to develop your idea at your own pace. They’ll give you the opportunity to connect with others and develop further partnerships through access to global networks, events and sector expertise.
Mentorship for a full year
They will tailor their support to suit you. You’ll get access to on-going mentorship from the British Council plus advice from subject matter experts on how to potentially grow and scale-up your idea.
How to apply?
Take a look at the questions before you begin your application, as you will not be able to edit your application once it has been submitted.
For more information please visit the official web page.