Deadline: 9 December 2019
Open to: fellows from Sub-Sahara African countries: Ethiopia, Burundi, Cameroon, Gambia, Malawi, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Uganda, and Zimbabwe
Benefits: fully funded
The Chevening Africa Media Freedom Fellowship (CAMFF) is aimed at mid-senior level African professionals with demonstrable leadership skills in their fields, which may include public servants working in areas of media policy and regulatory frameworks, or media professionals such as journalists. Fellows will undertake a bespoke 8-week fellowship program titled ‘New Media for a New Africa: Freedom of Speech, Economic Prosperity and Good Governance’. The programme will combine professional development of the values of good journalism (curiosity, rigour, challenge, storytelling, research, doing no harm, and freedom of speech) with an understanding of new opportunities to make reporting more effective and to use new ways to enhance its reach and impact.
Fellows will participate in six intensive weeks of lectures, visits, and discussions that introduce them to key UK academics, media, and political figures in the field, followed by two weeks of fieldwork research and professional practice. This will culminate in an interactive day of news events focused on Africa and the UK.
- Be a citizen of Ethiopia, Burundi, Cameroon, Gambia, Malawi, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Uganda, and Zimbabwe;
- Return to your country of citizenship at the end of the period of the fellowship;
- Have a postgraduate level qualification (or equivalent professional training or experience in a relevant area) at the time of application
- Have at least seven years’ work experience prior to applying;
- Be a mid-senior level African professionals with demonstrable leadership skills in fields which may include public servants working in areas of media policy and regulatory frameworks, or media professionals such as journalists;
- Be fluent in written and spoken English;
- Not hold British or dual-British citizenship;
- Agree to adhere to all relevant guidelines and expectations of the fellowship.
Each fellowship includes:
- Full program fees;
- Living expenses for the duration of the fellowship;
- Return economy airfare from your country of residence to the UK.