Deadline: 4 November 2019
Open to: citizen or resident of an ASEAN country (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) including Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
Venue: 4-6 December 2019, Jakarta, Indonesia
The First Intercontinental Youth Forum in Southeast Asia will help in understanding violent extremism in the regional context, i.e. root causes and triggers while exploring the types of violent extremism and existing trends in the region.
This forum will also introduce the concept and different means of preventing violent extremism drawing on the soft power of religion and dialogue. This forum will also serve as an exchange and experience sharing platform bringing together iDovers from Europe, Africa and the Middle East who participated in the previous forums and iDove activities to share their iDove journeys and The Additionally, the forum will explore the challenges, gaps and accordingly develop approaches to PVE. This Forum is organized in collaboration with the Network for Religious and Traditional Peacemakers and with support by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
What is iDove?
The iDove initiative was jointly launched by the African Union Commission (AUC) and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in February 2017 to highlight the importance of the soft power of religion in preventing violent extremism (PVE) through innovative, youth-led approaches. By building on existing initiatives and supporting young people’s engagement and ideas, iDove strives to develop non-violent approaches and solutions that strengthen social cohesion and create a forum for exchange and learning.
The annual iDove Intercontinental Youth Forums provide a valuable platform for young community workers, academics, creatives & policy makers across the globe to share experiences, ideas and knowledge on innovative approaches to prevent violent extremism. iDove is expanding as an initiative that initially started with focus on Africa and Europe. For the first time this year the 3rd Intercontinental Youth Forum included participants from the Middle East and now iDove is expanding to Southeast Asia.
- You are between 18 and 30 years old;
- You are a citizen or resident of an ASEAN country (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) including Sri Lanka and Bangladesh;
- You are an African, European or Middle Eastern diaspora living in one of the aforementioned countries working/interested in PVE;
- You have proven experience and/or interest in PVE and building social cohesion;
- You are committed to and/or experience in interfaith dialogue and collaboration;
- You are fluent in English.
- Become part of the iDove network across Southeast Asia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East and get access to knowledge, good practices and a community of like-minded youth;
- A deeper understanding of Violent Extremism regionally and globally;
- Benefit from a wide range of experts in the field of PVE;
- Increase your knowledge on soft power approaches to PVE;
- Experience sharing platform with iDovers;
- Develop innovative solutions for your community.
Participation costs, including travel and accommodation, will be covered by the organizers.
How to apply?
For more information, please visit the official web page.