Deadline: 15 December 2019
Open to: young people aged 18 to 35 from one of the following Mediterranean countries: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Montenegro, Palestinian Territories, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Tunisia and Turkey
Benefits: cash prizes and workshops
Every year, World Water Day draws the world’s attention to key global water issues. World Water Day 2020 will focus on Water and Climate Change. Youth has an important role to play in working towards regional water security and increased water awareness. Young people are involved in innovative water-related projects and research around the Mediterranean and are key to securing a more sustainable water future in the region. Youth also has an essential role to play in creating a more inclusive Mediterranean for migrants and refugees.
To amplify the voice of regional youth on this topic, the Center for Mediterranean Integration (CMI) is launching the fourth edition of its Mediterranean youth workshop on Water and Climate Change. In the run-up to this workshop, the fourth edition of the “Mediterranean Water Heroes” youth contest will offer young water activists from around the Mediterranean the opportunity to showcase their innovative work on water and Climate Change.
- Young people aged 18 to 35 and working and/or studying the water sector in the Mediterranean;
- Regardless of their place of residence, applicants must be nationals from one of the following Mediterranean countries: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Montenegro, Palestinian Territories, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Tunisia and Turkey;
- Applications from Libya, Algeria, and Egypt are strongly encouraged;
- Applicants may be active within public institutions, research institutes, start-ups, NGOs, or are freelancers;
- The official languages of the contest are English and Arabic.
CMI encourages applications from all backgrounds, including young water activists, entrepreneurs, and researchers.
Applicants are invited to submit their innovative work around the following themes:
- Water and Climate Change Policies;
- Water Scarcity and Drought Management Best Practices;
- Water Security Migration Nexus;
- Water and Circular Economy (entrepreneurship).
Contest prizes will be announced during the World Water Day 2020.
In addition to the prizes, the selected contest winners will be offered a speaking role in the different World Water Day 2020 workshop sessions in Murcia, Spain as well as:
- Connection with international water and migration experts and young water professionals:
- Visibility: Showcasing your work on the online channels of the Center for Mediterranean Integration and its partners
- Mentoring: Peer-to-peer mentoring with other Mediterranean water activists and experts.
Other selected participants will also be invited to participate in the workshop in March 2020.
How to apply
For more information, please visit the official web page.