Deadline: 15 December 2019
Open to: artists from all fields
Awards: some awards
‘Social Dive’ is an artist residency programme run as part of Tokyo Biennale 2020. Artists will have the opportunity to stay and create at the heart of Tokyo, and to present their resulting work as part of the Biennale. Social Dive invites artists to dive into the different areas of Tokyo as part of an art project aimed at discovering both the unique traditions and new values held by the people who live there. The project calls for artists whose practice deals with socially engaged art through a wide spectrum of ideas and methods of expression or action – whether that be fine art, design, performance, media art, film, architecture, academic research, social action, or activities related to economics. All fields are welcome.
Capability to directly face the “Social Dive” theme, and connect deeply with the city of Tokyo itself, its diverse communities, or the intangible cultural values of Japan.
– All forms of expression are accepted. Any field is welcome as long as the project deals with social engagement through a wide spectrum of ideas and methods of expression or action. This includes those such as fine art, design, performance, media art, film, architecture, academic research, social action, and economic-related.
– Must be able to actually participate as an invited artist and carry out the preparation and development of the exhibition following the notice of their selection.
– Must be able to stay and produce work between June to Early July 2020 in order to present works for the opening of the Tokyo Biennale (planned for July 10, 2020).
Residents will receive:
- Travel expenses (within limits);
- Coordination of venue for presentation;
- Support fee for project development;
- Interpretation and translation support.
How to apply?
Please send an e-mail to [contact(at)socialdive(dot)jp] together with the submission materials:
– A plan of the artwork or art project that you propose (2 pages, A3 size 297 x 420 mm, horizontal format)
– A self-introduction statement that includes details of past works (1 page, A3 size)
– Current CV that includes education and career, exhibitions/projects, and residency experience
– Website URL (if you have one)
*All documents will only be accepted in English or Japanese
For more information and to apply please visit the official web page.