Deadline: 10 January 2020
Open to: African women filmmakers from: Burkina Faso, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa
Benefits: a 2-week residency in Japan and an opportunity to network and present their work at the Nara International Film Festival with all travel and accommodation expenses covered
With funding from the Government of Japan, under the guidance of internationally acclaimed Japanese Film Director, Naomi Kawase and in partnership with the Nara International Film Festival Organizing Committee, UNESCO is offering a 2-week film making residency (29 March to 12 April 2020).
Within the duration of the workshop, the participants will complete their short films, from shooting to editing. They will collaborate and interact with other participants, discuss technical and artistic issues, sharing with the group the different stages of the editing.
- A woman
- A citizen of the following 5 countries: Burkina Faso, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa
- At least 21 years old and no more than 35 years old
- Have at least 2 years of professional film or audio-visual experience
- Have at least directed one film (short, medium, long feature or documentary), preferably shown in a festival and/or broadcasted
- Speak and understand English (the residency will be conducted in English)
Those selected to participate in this film making residency program will be provided:
- Two return air tickets from the city of your residence to Nara, Japan
- Accommodation, meals and local transportation for the duration of the stay in Nara, Japan
- The Nara team will provide artistic, technical and logistical assistance. Filming equipment will be put at the disposal of participants.
- The participants will also be provided with assistance on administrative and visa procedures.
- Participants will be invited again to screen and present the work completed at the Nara International Film Festival from 18-22 September 2020. They will participate in public discussions, masterclasses and networking sessions with Japanese film industry professionals.
How to apply?
The application must be in English (with all required materials) and submitted by 10 January 2020 by email to [email protected]
For more information, please visit the official website.