Deadline: 15 January 2020
Open to: 15-17 years old students from: United States, Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan
Benefits: visa fee, round trip, meals & accommodation
TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young women from the United States, Central Asia, and the Middle East and North Africa to pursue careers in science and technology.
The centerpiece of the program is a weeklong technology camp that provides participants with an in-depth examination of technology-related topics, such as coding and cybersecurity and engages them in 45+ hours of hands-on instruction. The camp is complemented by additional activities such as site visits to technology companies, leadership clinics, community service opportunities, job shadowing, and cultural events. As part of program follow-on, the TechGirls implement at least one peer training program or service project within their schools and/or communities.
TechGirls participate in interactive technology and computer camp (with US Girls), join a tech company for a day of job shadowing, and participate in community service initiatives. There is a TechGirls multiplier effect – inspiring others in their local community to pursue Stem.
TechGirls is packed with skill-development workshops and interactions with America’s most innovative tech professionals as well as 45 hours of study at a Tech Camp with their partner the Center for Enhancement in Engineering Diversity at Virginia Tech. The TechGirls program offers a rich cultural immersion experience, improves the participants’ ability to enter tech fields and encourages them to pursue higher education in fields where women are under-represented.
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the following eligible countries: United States, Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan;
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff or U.S. Department of State employees are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee;
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States;
- Housing during program;
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations;
- Meals during the program (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner);
- Local transportation to group program events;
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International;
- Emergency health insurance.
How to Apply?
To apply please register on their platform via the following link and than proceed to the online application form.
For more information please visit the official website.