Deadline: 20 February 2020
Open to: applicants from Western Balkans and Turkey
Benefits: fully-funded scholarship for a master’s degree in Sweden
The scholarships for the Western Balkans and Turkey is part of the Swedish government’s international awards scheme aimed at developing global leaders. They are funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Sweden and administered by the Swedish Institute (SI). The programs offer a unique opportunity for future leaders to develop professionally and academically, to experience Swedish society and culture, and to build a long-lasting relationship with Sweden and with each other.
The goal is to assist the countries in the Western Balkans and Turkey to forge closer links with the European Union. Thematically the scholarship programs focus on democracy, human rights and the rule of law, including gender equality, equal opportunities and non-discrimination, and independent media.
Priority will be given to applicants with a strong and relevant professional background and demonstrated leadership experience from civil society or public sector.
Only citizens of one of the six Western Balkan countries or Turkey are eligible for this scholarship program. Read more about countries of citizenship. Work experience wise, the applicants must have demonstrated work experience within a field related to democracy, human rights or the rule of law. Priority will be given to applicants with demonstrated leadership experience from civil society or public sector.
The master’s studies must be eligible for SI scholarships. They give greatest priority to certain subject areas. The applicants must be liable to pay tuition fees to Swedish universities, have followed the steps of university admission, and be admitted to one of the eligible master’s programs by 3 April 2020.
The scholarship covers
- Tuition fees: pay directly to the Swedish university by SI
- Living expenses of EUR 947 per month
- Travel grant of EUR 473 per academic year
- Insurance against illness and accident
- Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) – a platform to help you grow professionally and build your network, while in Sweden
- Membership of the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period – a platform for continued networking and further professional development
How to apply?
A complete application must consist of:
- a completed motivation letter
- a CV
- one or two valid and completed letter(s) of reference
- valid and completed proof of work (the leadership experience form is not compulsory)
- a copy of your valid passport
For more information and how to apply, please visit the official website.