Open to: writers and producers who can contribute meaningfully to transforming and expanding knowledge about Africa and the diaspora
Benefits: A grant of up to USD 3,000
With the support of the Shuttleworth Foundation and the Open Society Foundation, Africa Is a Country (AIAC) is proud to announce the launch of our inaugural Africa Is a Country Fellowship Program.
The purpose of the AIAC Fellowship is to support the production of original work and new knowledge on Africa-related topics that are under-recognized and under-covered in traditional media, new media, and other public forums. It particularly seeks to amplify voices and perspectives from the left that address the major political, social, and economic issues affecting Africans in ways that are original, accessible, and engaging to a variety of audience
Anyone can apply. Preference will be given to applicants who are at a fairly early stage in their careers as well as to applicants from or resident on the African continent.
Applicants do not need to make a living from their writing/creative output but rather must demonstrate they have the ability to produce important, compelling, and original work that shares and furthers AIAC’s mission.
In order to apply you must provide the following:
- Personal info
- Bio (max 2500 characters)
- Topic proposal (max 7500 characters)
- Project timeline (max 1500 characters)
- Links to two previous work examples
- References (optional)
And, answer the following questions:
- Why is your topic important and how will it further the AIAC mission? (max 1500 characters)
- Where and on what mediums will you seek to republish your work? (max 1500 characters)
- How will this fellowship help you and your personal career? (max 1500 characters)
- What challenges will you face for your proposed work and how do you expect to overcome them? (max 1500 characters)
- What kind of support or mentorship would you expect from AIAC? (max 1500 characters)
- Achieve a grant of up to USD 3,000 to create original work on a topic of their choice for AIAC over a 9-month period;
- Collaborate with the Media Department to translate their work into multimedia forms;
- Fellows will also represent Africa Is a Country on other media platforms as experts in their chosen subject