Deadline: 16 March 2020
Open to: master students up to 35 years of age from developing countries from the Global South, interested in the fields of science and engineering
Benefits: a monthly stipend that covers food, accommodation and health insurance costs
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) is global science academy, established for developing countries, with an aim to support and promote excellence in scientific research in the developing countries. TWAS has 1,278 elected Fellows representing more than 100 countries; 14 of them are Nobel laureates. About 84% come from developing nations, and the rest are scientists and engineers from the developed world whose work has had a significant impact in the South. TWAS-CUI Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the campuses of the COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI).
TWAS-CUI fellowships are offered to young scientists from developing countries who wish to obtain all or part (sandwich or full-time) of their PhD in natural or social sciences. SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country) may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period of 18 months. The FULL-TIME Fellowship (for those not registered for a PhD in their home country) may granted for a period of up to 3 years. Candidates will register for their PhD in the relevant department at one of the campuses of CUI, Pakistan.
- Be up to 35 years of age by 31 December in the year of application;
- Have evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan) and should not reside in Pakistan or hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- Has to hold a MSc degree in a field of natural sciences, but if applying in a field of eligible social sciences, must hold a MSc degree in a field of social sciences;
- For SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered PhD students in a developing country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university;
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at a university in Pakistan;
You can find a detailed list of eligibility rules on TWAS-CUIs official website (link below).
A monthly stipend that covers living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance, will be provided to successful applicants by the CUI .
How to Apply?
Applications can only be accepted via the TWAS-CUI online portal. Without preliminary Acceptance Letter from CUI, the application will not be considered for selection.
For more information, please check the official website.