Deadline: 20 February 2020
Open to: candidates aged between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment
Benefits: a UN Volunteer receives a volunteer living allowance (VLA) per month
Under the guidance of the United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth, the UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- As part of a team, the youth volunteer will support the coordination of social media coverage of important events; support liaison function with news and publications agencies, public relations firms, internal and external partners of the office
- Support the creation and management of the Social Media accounts of the Youth Envoy and work on new and existing social media campaigns and initiatives.
- Specifically highlight the integration of youth and youth volunteers in UN field operations across all UN pillars (development, peace and security, human rights, humanitarian), including in joint initiatives (e.g. in the framework of projects under the Peacebuilding Fund, the SDG Fund, the UNDP-DPPA Joint Programme, the Spotlight Initiative, etc.)
- Using relevant computer software, assist with creating designs in appropriate format for promotional and other material, e.g. brochures, presentational materials, announcements, video and audio material, catalogues, etc.; ensure that photos, graphics, etc. are appropriate and conform to UN standards.
- Assist in the production and editing of video/film projects, podcasts, radio programmes or website projects; track all production material; produce scripts, cue cards, etc., select and catalogue sound and visual materials for inclusion in productions, and obtain requisite clearances and copyrights; coordinate scheduling of commercial and internal production facilities; direct studio recordings and/or evaluate audio quality of recordings for inclusion in programmes
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- Proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format
- Assist in the maintenance of websites by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the site.
- Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Maintain calendar/schedules; monitor changes and communicate relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Perform data entry and extraction functions.
- Review, record, distribute and/or process mail and other documents; follow-up on impending actions.
- Update and maintain large distribution lists; monitor, prepare and distribute various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handle arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinate shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Assist in providing software and office equipment support.
- Perform other duties as required
Furthermore, UN Youth Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Up to 2 years experience desired.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Recognized First Level University degree in communications, media, public relations digital marketing or other relevant field
- Fluency in English (both oral and written); excellent writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and positive working attitude
- Strong ability to multi-task and a drive for on-time delivery
- Relevant experience in managing organizational social media accounts would be considered an asset
- Previous formal or informal experience in developing creative content for social media will be considered favourably
- Fluency in another UN language, in addition to English, would be considered an asset
A UN Volunteer receives a Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) per month and is paid at the end of each month to cover housing, utilities, transportation, communications and other basic needs. The VLA can be computed by applying the Post-Adjustment Multiplier (PAM) to the VLA base rate of (choose from the drop down menu the appropriate rate here): USD 1,305. The VLA base rate is a global rate, while the PAM is country-specific and fluctuates on a monthly basis according to the cost of living. This method ensures that international UN Volunteers have comparable purchasing power at all duty stations irrespective of varying costs of living. The PAM is established by the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) and is published at the beginning of every month on the ICSC website http://icsc.un.or
How to Apply?
Please first register your profile here.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
For more information, and how to apply, please visit the official website.