Deadline: 27 May 2020
Open to: national of a sub-Saharan African country
Benefits: GBP 45,000 per year
Future Leaders – African Independent Research (FLAIR) Fellowships are for talented African early career researchers who have the potential to become leaders in their field. These fellowships provide the opportunity to build an independent research career in a sub-Saharan African institution and to undertake cutting-edge scientific research that will address global challenges facing developing countries.
You can apply for this scheme if you:
– Are a national of a sub-Saharan African country;
– Hold a PhD by the time you apply;
– Are an early career researcher with a minimum of two years of research experience since completing your PhD and no more than eight years of post-doctoral research experience;
– Wish to hold the fellowship in a research institution in an Official Development Assistance (ODA) eligible sub-Saharan African country;
– Have a clearly defined scientific research proposal focusing on one or more of the Global Challenge areas outlined in the scheme notes.
This scheme provides an award of up to GBP 150,000 per year for two years in the first instance, covering:
Research Fellow’s salary, up to GBP 45,000 per year.
– Research assistance
– Equipment costs
– Travel expenses
– Research consumables
Institutional overhead, up to GBP 15,000 per year
The scheme also provides a programme of support and development, including:
- Training courses
- Opportunities for international collaboration
- Networking opportunities regionally and internationally
How to Apply?
Applications should be made through the Royal Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®.
Your application will follow the process detailed in the scheme notes, overseen by the FLAIR panel.
Interviews will be held the week commencing 23 November 2020 at the African Academy of Sciences, Nairobi. You are advised to keep this week free. You will be notified of the result of the application process by December 2020.
For more information, please visit the official web page.
E-Mail: [email protected]