Deadline: 15 March 2020
Open to: applicants must come from countries or regions on the DAC list
Benefits: fully funded
ISA is a project of the Schutzgemeinschaft Deutscher Wald Lv. Hamburg e.V. (SDW) [The Protective Association for the German Forest] and is located in Hamburg in the WÄLDERHAUS. The goal is to support and strengthen international cooperation in the implementation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Available resources and network structures of the SDW can and should be used effectively. In this way the Academy creates the link between work at local level and international exchange. In the first instance the planned project goals should be new solutions in climate protection.
The scholarship is sponsored by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and is aimed at interested parties in emerging countries and economies on the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) list. The Schutzgemeinschaft Deutscher Wald Landesverband Hamburg e.V. (SDW), as a NUN-certified education center for sustainable development (BNE), heads the ISA which is responsible for the scholarship-holders. The program will be sponsored initially until the end of 2022. Four courses are planned as of September 2019 to December 2022.
Aims of the sponsorship
The international transfer of knowledge shall help the 12 scholarship-holders to further develop their existing special fields and/or existing projects in terms of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Of particular importance and given priority are activities in respect of climate protection in their home countries. The primary objective is the discernible use in the home country through the continuation of the projects and/or the perspectives, solution approaches and contacts acquired during the course of the scholarship. Their projects must be put into the context of one or more SDGs. Ongoing exchange between the Academy and the scholarship- holders is therefore essential, even after returning home.
During the period of sponsorship until 2022, the ISA offers up to 12 students and professionals every year (see requirements) an 8-month research stay in Hamburg, together with a further month of sponsorship in their home country in order there to complete and customize the results of the research report. The primary focus is on the close exchange of know-how amongst the scholarship holders during their individual research work. Further focal points of the program are training courses and internships developed together with the scholarship-holders, visits to Best Practice companies and institutions. Students will be supervised and supported in the subject matter by the ISA and selected universities and research centers.
Beginning and duration: October 2019 to June 2020, 9 months
Location: In the WÄLDERHAUS in Hamburg/Wilhelmsburg, Germany
- Applicants must come from countries or regions on the DAC list
- Evidence of English skills of at least B1 or better
- Evidence of university degree and/or relevant professional experience
- Applicants must already be working on a project or research in their home country, ideally on the theme of climate protection which they can further consolidate in Germany. It is important that the benefits to the home country can be seen
- The project must be attributable to one or more Sustainable Development Goals (SDG ́s)
- You must apply for a visa at the Germany Embassy in your home country
- There is no age limit for applicants.
- Selection is based on the following requirements and the dimensions deduced from them:
- INTELLECTUAL ABILITIES – Specialist qualification – general education/ open-mindedness and interest/ creativity;
- VALUE ORIENTATION / RESPONSIBILITY – standpoint and tolerance – independent thinking
- GENERAL environment policy commitment – volunteer activities taking into account own artistic or scientific performance
- PERSONALITY – motivation – potential – personal presentation – social competence
The costs for accommodation in flat-shares, the work station, the costs of return flights, health insurance and a 10-week German language course will be taken over. In addition each sponsorship-holder will receive an amount of money for the research work.
- Costs of the stay will be paid
- EUR 1,300 per month expenses (includes own research and as applicable, excursions and internships)
- Health insurance
- accommodation (private, furnished flat-share room (ca. 12m²) with shared bathroom and kitchen)
- return flight (Economy Class (max. three stopovers, flight from home country airport) (airport transfer in home country may be granted under justified circumstances)
- airport transfer in Hamburg with public transport
- season ticket for the use of public transport in Hamburg
- costs of group excursions
- BMZ sponsorship regulations apply
How to Apply
In order to apply, you must fill in the application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.