Deadline: 30 June 2020
Open to: outstanding female scientists currently residing anywhere in the world
Benefits: the fellowship is worth up to USD 35,000
The AIMS-NEI Fellowship Program for Women in Climate Change Science (WiCCS) seeks to increase women’s participation in, and contribution to, a more sustainable societal response to climate change. This fellowship program was made possible by a grant from the International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada, www.idrc.ca, and financial support from the Government of Canada, provided through Global Affairs Canada (GAC), www.international.gc.ca. It is part of a broader effort by AIMS-NEI to build the intellectual capital needed to better our understanding of the causes of climate change in Africa, and to solve the myriad challenges to Africa’s development resulting from climate change.
Applications are invited from outstanding female scientists currently residing anywhere in the world. Successful applicants are expected to execute, in a suitable African host institution, a self-initiated project with the potential to contribute significantly to the understanding of climate change and its impacts, and/or to the development and implementation of innovative, empirically-grounded policies and strategies for climate change mitigation, adaptation and/or resilience, among others.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- in possession before the fellowship start date of a doctorate in a quantitative discipline, including but not limited to applied mathematics, climatology, physics, computational chemistry, statistical ecology, computer science, theoretical biology, and engineering;
- currently employed, on either a permanent or a temporary basis, in a non-profit work environment, including government;
- actively engaged in research, policy, and/or practice relevant to climate change modelling, mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience among others; and
- the lead and/or senior author of at least one refereed publication on a topic relevant to climate change modelling, the causative factors of climate change, climate change
mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience etc.
The fellowship is worth up to USD 35,000. The exact amount of the fellowship will be specified at the time of the award.
How to apply?
To apply, please complete the online application form with the following documents attached:
- a completed personal details form, including a detailed budget for all non-project
- related activities;
- a completed project proposal form, including a detailed budget for all project-related
- a curriculum vitae; and
- an electronic copy of a representative publication in climate change modelling, its
causes, climate change mitigation, adaptation and/or resilience in which the applicant is the lead and/or senior author.
Supporting documents should be saved as a pdf in the format: “name of the research program_type of_document_AIMSentity/centre_monthyear of applying_first and last name of applicant.” For instance, “MS4CR fellowship_application form_AIMSNEI_Dec2018_SarahJak”.
Applicants should request that three confidential letters of support be emailed to email@example.com, using as subject “MS4CR fellowship application support letter-first
- and last name of applicant” by the application deadline. Two of these letters should come from the applicant’s immediate supervisor at her home institution and the named collaborator at her proposed host institution. At least one letter should come from a referee who is qualified to assess the applicant’s experience in climate change research, practice, and/or policy. You should share with your referees a copy of the ‘Terms of Reference for Fellows’ and the ‘Instructions for Referees’ document. These can be downloaded on the website.
For more information, please visit the official web page.