Deadline: 25 June 2020
Open to: individuals from anywhere in the world aged between 13 and 18 years
Benefits: winner will be awarded a USD 250,000 college scholarship and renovations to the Winner’s school valued up to USD 100,000
The Breakthrough Junior Challenge is an annual global competition for students to inspire creative thinking about science. Students ages 13 to 18 from countries across the globe are invited to create and submit original videos (3:00 minutes in length maximum) that bring to life a concept or theory in the life sciences, physics or mathematics. This year, there is an additional COVID-19 category. The submissions are judged on the student’s ability to communicate complex scientific ideas in engaging, illuminating, and imaginative ways. The Challenge is organized by the Breakthrough Prize Foundation.
- Subject to the limitations set out herein, individuals between the ages of 13 and 18 may participate. You must be 13 years of age by April 1 at 12:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time (”PDT”) to participate in the Competition, and You cannot be older than 18 years of age (not yet 19) on October 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM PDT. If You are a minor, You must have your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to enter and Your parent or legal guardian must agree, on Your behalf and on his or her own behalf, to follow and be bound by these RULES and warrant that You are eligible to participate in the Competition. You cannot reside in nor be governed by countries that are prohibited by law, regulation (including United States laws and regulations or other applicable export laws and regulations), treaty or administrative act from entering into trade relations (including export of technology) with the United States of America or its citizens. For additional information, please consult: www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx. Previous Winners of the Competition are not eligible to participate.
- Entries are limited to individuals only; commercial enterprises and business entities are not eligible. Group submissions are not eligible. Any donor, director, officer, employee, contractor to or of Competition Sponsor, members of the Evaluation Panel, members of the Selection Committee and any of the foregoing’s family members or those living in the same household are prohibited from entering the Competition. A “family member” of any individual means his or her spouse, ancestors, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and the spouses of his or her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Additionally, any individual who is the owner of more than 20 percent of (i) the total combined voting power of a corporation, (ii) the profits interest of a partnership or (iii) the beneficial interest of a trust or unincorporated enterprise which is a substantial contributor to the Competition Sponsor is prohibited from entering the Competition. A “substantial contributor” means any individual or entity who contributed or bequeathed an aggregate amount of more than $5,000 to the Competition Sponsor, if such amount is more than two percent of the total contributions and bequests received by the Competition Sponsor before the close of the taxable year of the Competition Sponsor in which the contribution or bequest is received by the Competition Sponsor from such individual or entity. The judges are also subject to a conflicts of interest policy.
- Entries that are submitted in connection with the Competition will only be eligible if such Entries (i) are in English, including all scripts and voiceovers, (ii) do not contain content that is unlawful (including any infringement or potential infringement of Intellectual Property Rights), hateful or obscene, in the Competition Sponsor’s sole discretion, and (iii) do not include any other identifiable individual other than the individual participant unless prior express consent is obtained from such individual or such images are in the public domain. The Competition Sponsor will allow only those entries that meet all of these criteria, in the sole discretion of the Competition Sponsor.
- One (1) Prize (“Prize”) will be awarded to the Winner consisting of: a USD 250,000 college scholarship (“Scholarship”) and renovations to the Winner’s school (“School”) valued up to USD 100,000 for the renovation or addition of a science lab.
- As part of the Prize, the Winner will also elect one teacher (“Teacher”) who has inspired the Winner in the field of science or mathematics, and such teacher will be awarded USD 50,000.
- The Competition Sponsor will (i) coordinate the renovation details with the School, (ii) supply a team to work on remodeling, and (iii) pay up to USD 100,000 for all approved expenses associated with the renovation. The total approximate retail value of the Prize is USD 400,000.
How to apply?
To submit an Entry for the Competition, go to breakthroughjuniorchallenge.org (the “Website”), click “Enter” at the top of the webpage and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the application form to receive one (1) Entry into the Competition. In order for your Entry to be valid and complete, You must also review at least five (5) other Entries from other entrants (“Peers”), as further described below. In addition, Your video submission must be three (3:00) minutes or under according to the clock on YouTube. Your video must not be marked as private or Competitor Sponsor will not be able to view and judge Your entry in the Competition. Any video that is over three (3:00) minutes or marked as private may be disqualified from the Competition in the sole discretion of the Competition Sponsor.
Limit to one (1) Entry per person during the Competition Period. You may not Enter under more than one true and uniform identity; multiple Entries from an entrant are not allowed and may be disqualified. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY June 25, 2020 at 11:59 PM PDT. Once submitted, Your Entry becomes the exclusive property of the Competition Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Proof of submission of an entry does not constitute proof of receipt by Competition Sponsor.
For more information, please visit the official web page.