Deadline: 31 July 2020
Open to: citizens from developing countries and regions
Benefits: monthly scholarship rate of EUR 850 and other benefits
The Helmut-Schmidt-Programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country. The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences. In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should qualify the scholarship holders to become partners in the political and economic co-operation with Germany. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
As one of only eight institutions of higher learning in Germany, the University of Passau and its study programme in Governance and Public Policy (M.A.) has been a proud member of the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme network since 2010.
The study programme Governance and Public Policy (M.A.) has a two-year-curriculum. In their first term, students will get acquainted with the foundations of governance research as well as with the basics of statehood and Good Governance in order to provide a theoretical framework in which the following interdisciplinary classes are embedded. In these Master classes, students will focus on topics from areas of Comparative Politics/Public Policy, Global Governance, European Integration, Recent European History, European and International Law as well as Political Institutions and Social Transformation. This curriculum is complemented by various classes to enhance the students’ occupational skills, e. g. courses on methods in the social sciences, presentation techniques, and paper writing.
Although, the M.A. Governance and Public Policy is officially announced as a bilingual programme, Helmut-Schmidt-Programme scholarship holders are given the opportunity to study the whole scheme in the English language.
- Citizens from selected partner countries and regions.
- No age limit. However your last university degree must not be older than six years when applying for a DAAD scholarship in the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme.
- If you live in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of your application deadline (31. Juli), you are not entitled to apply for a scholarship in the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme.
- If you live in a developing country, you can apply
- You need English language skills equivalent to at least B2 level of the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). In case the general medium of instruction at your previous university was English it is sufficient to attach a confirmation of your university.
- Monthly scholarship rate of EUR 850
- Health insurance
- Travel allowances
- Study and research subsidies
How to Apply?
In order to apply, please fill the DAAD application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.