Deadline: 2 September 2020
Open to: applicants from Algeria, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Tunisia, United States
Scholarship: fully funded
OneBeat Sahara will convene 25 musicians from seven countries in the Saharan Region and the U.S. to collaboratively create original work and to develop a global network of civically engaged music initiatives. During this 3-week program, which includes a residency in Béchar and tour to Taghit and Algiers, OneBeat Sahara Fellows will explore black diasporic musical traditions that traveled from Africa to the Americas, and back to Africa again. This program will focus particularly on the elements of these artistic traditions and their links to North African music — both ancient and contemporary — which create a cultural power based in resilience, creativity, and mutual support. The program will be approximately three weeks in length. While in Algeria the Fellows will participate in a 12-day residency in Taghit in Souther Algeria, during which they will develop and rehearse original material. They will then go on a 6-day tour to Bechar, and Algiers, during which they will perform the music they developed and rehearsed during the residency period. Throughout the program Fellows will develop and lead creative workshops for youth and community groups.
– Applicants must be between 19 – 35 during the dates of program (program is expected to run in February 2021).
– Eligible Countries and Territories: Algeria, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Tunisia, United States.
– Participants should have a basic grasp of English in order to participate in ensembles and creative sessions.
– All costs will be covered for OneBeat Fellows, including travel and accommodations. Fellows will also receive a per diem and a modest honorarium.
– Fellows from some countries will require a visa to travel to Algeria. The US State Department and participating embassies will assist with the visa process.
How to apply?
Applicants should plan to write about their musical background and interests as well as future projects and goals. Applicants will be asked to submit 3-5 samples of their solo and collaborative work (both audio and video are accepted).
In order to apply, please fill the application.
For more information, please visit the official web page.