Deadline: 26 March 2021
Open to: designers worldwide from all backgrounds who are over 18 years old
Benefits: an offer of around USD 124206 in prize money for the winners
World of WearableArt (WOW), the world’s leading wearable art competition that showcases finalist garments in a spectacular stage show held in Wellington, New Zealand attracting an audience of around 60,000 people. This competition has been a successful reoccurring event for the past 30 years, and each year designers are asked to chose one of the six themes as a source of their inspiration. The six themes are: Architecture, Monochromatic, Elizabethan era, Avant-garde, Aotearoa and Open.
In order to apply, all applicants must be 18 years or over (at 26 March 2021). Participants cannot submit drawings or sketches of their designs, but you must at least include four full length photographs as part of your submission. Participants can start making their garment at any stage. You are eligible if you have been working on your garment for years, or if you started working on it after the Competition has been opened. Anything that is wearable art can find a place on the stage, as long as it is original, innovative and well executed. Designers focused on fashion, textile or industrial design, jewellery, architecture, engineering, sculpture and painting or homemaking are all welcome to apply for this competition.
There are 33 prizes in total that are awarded to the selected winners. Here are the awards:
- Supreme WOW Award (winner receives around USD 19873 and the runner-up will receive around USD 9936);
- Dame Suzie Moncrieff Award (winner will receive around USD 3974);
- Section Prizes (First Prize winners: around USD 3974, Second Prize winners: around USD 1987 and Third Prize winners will receive: around USD 993);
- For the First-Time Enternat Awards, Student Innovation Award, Wearable Technology Award, Sustainability Award, International Awards and Emerging Designer Award, the winners for each section will receive an award of around USD 3312 respectively, but the chosen Overall International Winner will receive around USD 3974, plus a travel prize of up to around USD 2649;
- New Zealand Design (deadline has passed for applying to this part of the competition);
- The Residency Experience (deadline has passed).
HOW TO APPLY?
For more information on how to apply, please visit the official website.