Deadline: 8 February 2021
Open to: applicants who have an honours degree in Entomology or a related discipline and meet the eligibility criteria
Benefits: scholarship will cover tuition fees, research allowance, upkeep costs, and other benefits
Malaria Consortium is proud to continue its partnership with the University of Pretoria, South Africa, to continue the Dr Sylvia Meek scholarship for Entomology.
The scholarship for Entomology has been set up in the memory of Dr Sylvia Meek, Malaria Consortium’s Global Technical Director who led inspiring and pioneering work in the fight against infectious diseases, and malaria in particular, before her untimely passing away in 2016.
The scholarship, established in Sylvia’s honour by Malaria Consortium, will empower a new generation of public health entomologists and malaria staff in Africa and Asia. Given the limited number of field-oriented vector biologists, and the challenges African countries face in achieving malaria elimination, this scholarship is a great opportunity to support the next generation of public health entomologists in support of this quest.
Malaria Consortium is delighted that the University of Pretoria will continue to host recipients of the scholarship. The University of Pretoria is one of the leading higher education institutions in Africa and will be accepting one scholarship student in 2021 for a two-year Master of Science in Entomology based in and supervised by academic staff in the Department of Zoology and Entomology. The MSc in Entomology offered by the Department of Zoology and Entomology is a research-only programme that does not include a coursework component. The successful applicant will start their MSc programme before the end of March 2021.
- Nationals from the following countries can apply: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, the Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Zambia and Zimbabwe
- Applicants need to have successfully completed an Honours degree or equivalent in Entomology or a related discipline
- Applicants should have good knowledge of English (the language of instruction)
- Applicants should demonstrate an interest in, and commitment to, entomology and the control of vector borne diseases
- Applicants should be no older than 35 at the time of submission
The Dr Sylvia Meek scholarship for Entomology will cover all tuition fees, a research allowance to the total value of ZAR60 000 (ZAR30 000/year), ZAR 78 000/year for upkeep costs such as accommodation and board, an allowance for travel to South Africa (if non-national) and return home after completion of the programme, and health insurance for the duration of the MSc programme, i.e. a maximum of two calendar years, by which time the students should finish their degree.
HOW TO APPLY?
For more details, please visit the official website.