Deadline: 15 October 2021
Open to: applicants who hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, Russian, South African or American citizenship
Fellowship: monthly fellowship grant of 2,170 Euros, 2,470 Euros or 2,770 Euros – depending on your training and career level + other benefits
Applications are open for the Alexander von Humboldt German Chancellor Fellowship 2021. This fellowship for prospective leaders brings you to Germany for one year to implement a project idea you have developed yourself. Up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships are awarded each year – up to ten per country.
Are you a graduate with initial leadership experience? Do you come from Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa or the USA? Would you like to implement a self-chosen project that supports your career development, is societally relevant and has a lasting public impact? Are you interested in actively participating in an international network of dedicated leaders? Then go to Germany with a German Chancellor Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to take the next step of your career.
- Hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, Russian, South African or American citizenship;
- Work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience;
- Will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago when you start your fellowship;
- Want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany;
- Have good knowledge of English and/or German.
The program offers you:
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,170 Euros, 2,470 Euros or 2,770 Euros – depending on your training and career level.
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship.
- individual support during your stay in Germany.
- additional financial support, e.g. for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for an additional German language course.
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society.
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organise smaller network formats with other fellows.
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions.
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career.
Your host institution will receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 500 euros.
How to apply?
Before applying, you should discuss the details of your project with your chosen host.
Submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only:
- Letter of motivation: Tell them what drives you, what leadership experience you already have and what your career goals are.
- Project plan: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Why is your project of societal significance, and how will you be able to build bridges between Germany and your home country in the future?
- Extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany.
- Two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background.
For more information, please visit the official website.