Deadline: 20 April 2021
Open to: citizens of African countries between the ages of 19 and 29
Benefits: tuition fee coverage, allowances for study materials, research, and medical aid, accommodation and other benefits
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship offers comprehensive funding for the core costs associated with your studies. It covers tuition for a one-year Honours degree or a two-year Masters degree in any field at a recognised South African institution of higher education.
Furthermore, the scholarship combines financial support with a leadership programme that will challenge you, grow you, and connect you to young African changemakers – just like you. The programme is built on the principles of reconciliation, education, entrepreneurship, and leadership, and a belief that leadership begins with inner transformation. The aim is to keep Nelson Mandela’s legacy alive by equipping young African leaders with the competence and courage to transform the continent into a place where everyone has equal opportunity to thrive. The programme is delivered primarily through a series of week-long residential workshops which you will attend during your time in residence.
If you are between the ages of 19 and 29, are a citizen of any African country, and have a first degree with above average academic results (70% or upper second), you are eligible to apply for the scholarship. We look for young Africans who have demonstrated the potential to embody our founding principles of reconciliation, education, entrepreneurship, and leadership. You must have already assumed leadership and made an impact on your campus or community.
- Tuition and registration fees as set by your university or institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- A personal allowance as set by the MRF
- Research and conferencing grants can be made available on request
- Economy-class flights for international scholars from their home countries to their institutions at the start and end of their studies
HOW TO APPLY?
For more details, please visit the official website.