Deadline: 29 May 2021
Open to: graduates holding a degree from Natural Sciences, Engineering or an equivalent qualification, preferably in an astronomy-related area, speaking fluent English and Spanish
Benefits: an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary, comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits
The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world’s most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
For its Executive Office of the Director General at the ESO offices in Santiago de Chile, ESO is advertising the position of Representative in Chile.
The Representative in Chile formally represents ESO and its Director General in all matters and relations with Chilean governmental, regional and local authorities where ESO facilities and observatory sites are located, as well as with the diplomatic missions representing ESO Member States in Chile. S/he also coordinates the representation of ESO’s political and legal interests in Chile and promotes the positive relationship of ESO with Chile as a whole.
The selected candidate will be working closely with the Director General with the support and oversight from the Head of the Executive Office of the Director General. Her/his main duty will be to foster the relationship with Chile by consolidating and moving forward the engagement between ESO and Chile. In close coordination with the Director General, the DG Executive Office and ESO Directors, the Representative is responsible for proposing, implementing and monitoring ESO’s strategy in Chile aimed to secure the necessary conditions for ESO’s long-term operational success in the country.
University Degree preferably in Natural Sciences, Engineering or equivalent qualification, preferably in an astronomy-related area.
The position requires spoken and written fluency in the English and Spanish languages. Working knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
Essential Competences and Experience:
- Evidence of an objective and enquiring mind, together with a reserved temperament and balanced judgement;
- Diplomatic skills and discretion;
- Proven capacity of providing clear, concise and timely oral and written communications, identifying the key issues, examining options and proposing the way ahead;
- Proven experience in building strong collaborative working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds and disciplines;
- Capability of working in different activities, also in parallel and under pressure;
- Flexibility in adapting to changes of requirements and priorities as well as of assignments;
- Experience in monitoring progress of own work and delivering to agreed deadlines and standards.
- Friendly attitude towards engaging with Chilean society at large, while maintaining strict neutrality on political matters internal to Chile.
Desirable Competences and Experience:
- At least ten years of professional experience in scientific, technical or other areas related to astronomy;
- Having worked in international and culturally diverse environments.
- The maintenance of an up-to-date knowledge of astronomical research, particularly in those fields in which ESO is making significant contributions, would be an asset.
- Familiarity with the Chilean socio-political and scientific environment.
An attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits is offered, as well as financial help in family relocation, if needed.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information, visit the official website.