Deadline: 30 August 2021
Open to: emerging writers
Benefits: $3000 prize
Applications are open for the Summer Short Story Award for New Writers, a prize that recognizes the best fiction from today’s emerging writers. The winning story will be awarded $3000 and publication online. Second and third place stories will be awarded publication and $300 and $200 respectively. All winning stories and any notable Honorable Mentions will receive agency review by the following: Nat Sobel from Sobel Weber, Victoria Cappello from The Bent Agency, Andrea Morrison from Writers House, Sarah Fuentes from Fletcher & Company, Heather Schroder from Compass Talent, and Siohban McBride from Carnicelli Literary Management. We want you to succeed, and we want your writing to be read. It’s been our mission to support emerging writers since day one.
Guest judged by Kristen Arnett.
- Stories under 6000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections are welcome to submit. Writers with novels published with small circulations (around 5000 copies) can also submit.)
- International English submissions allowed
- $20 entry fee
- Winner receives $3000, publication, and agency review
- Second and third place prizes ($300 / $200, publication, and agency review)
HOW TO APPLY
For more information please visit the official website.