Deadline: 15 January 2022
Open to: women from 36 participating countries between the ages of 15 and 17 who want to pursue their careers in science and technology abroad
Applications are now open for the 2022 TechGirls International Summer Exchange Program to connect and support the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by providing them access and opportunities to advance their skills and pursue their dreams. The program will expand to support approximately 111 young women from 36 participating countries and 25 U.S. peers in a dynamic four week U.S.- based experience with a 8-month mentoring program (including pre- and post-exchange).
TechGirls is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ (ECA) mission is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange that assist in the development of peaceful relations. The core of the program is a 27-day experience in the United States in partnership with Virginia Tech University (tentatively scheduled for July 2022). TechGirls participate in an interactive technology and computer camp, then travel to one of the following cities (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Portland or Seattle) for job shadowing at a tech company, and homestay and community service experiences. The TechGirls programming yields a multiplier effect as participants return home to educate their peers and create community based projects.
TechGirls is packed with skill-development workshops and interactions with America’s most innovative tech professionals as well as 40 hours of study at a Tech Camp with the partner the Center for Enhancement in Engineering Diversity at Virginia Tech. The TechGirls program offers a rich cultural immersion experience, improves the participants’ ability to enter tech fields and encourages them to pursue higher education in fields where women are underrepresented.
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the following eligible countries:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange July 7th, 2022;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
How to apply?
For more information and to apply, please visit the official website.